Honda Pilot

• chirp
    Rochester

Just looked at some new 2012 Honda Pilots. Anybody out there pulling there boats with a Pilot? I have an 18′ Crestliner Sportfish with 150hp Etec. Is this enough SUV to pull it? Thanks in advance.

superstar
    Breezy Point, MN

The Pilot is light on torque, it might haunt you if you’re fully loaded.

suckerslayer
    Red Wing, MN

I hate towing anything with our pilot.

Flathead Fever
    robbinsdale mn

Im an ASE master tech and one of my customers has one of these. I just rebuilt the cylinder head because he ran low on oil. The timing chain tensioner is hydrualic, lost pressure and backed off and the chain slipped. Mr piston ran into Mr valve. I have worked on Jap cars for along time and I love them wouldnt buy anything else. I dont know how they pull but that engine is built like a brick #$!@ house.

jon_wbl

You may be able to tow it well enough on a flat road. Steep boat ramp and I think you may be in trouble. Does your trailer have brakes? Slowing it all down in a hurry may be a challange as well.

stevenoak

Can’t speak to towing.But my wife has a 06 w/ over 80,000 miles that besides oil and filters.It just got a new set of tire and has had brakes done about every 30,000. If you rode with her you would understand.She knows two speeds, go and stop. Would think there would be some spec on towing capacity maybe check with a dealer.

Ingy

I’ve had my 2010 since February and have been very happy with it.
    It pulls my 16.5 alumacraft with a 50 no problem.
    I do try to give myself plenty of braking time, just to be safe.
    I’d like better gas mileage, but I knew that going in.
    Ingy

FryDog62

I towed a 2006 Ranger Reata with 150 Yamaha (similar weight to Sportfish) with my Jeep Grand Cherokee until the lease was up. For about 6 months I towed the boat on an interim basis with my wife’s 2008 Honda Pilot. For most local trips it was fine, however, I took on one long trip from Mpls to Eagle Lake Ontario and it was never the same. The back end hung down whenever you trailered, or even when you had kids in the back third row. Seemed like a broken strut or something, dealer never found what it was.

I think the Pilot is a great all round vehicle, but just not a great long distance, rugged terrain tow vehicle for a boat that weight.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I sure wish Honda would come out with something more heavy duty. I’m be onboard (of course, I’d have to wait a few years for a used model I could afford).

Of course, they are on my $hit list right now for a known defect in my radio display that they won’t help me out with, but that’s about my only complaint in 9 years and 127K miles.

chirp
    Rochester

Thanks for the input Guys. Think I’ll keep looking. Would really like a Tahoe or Yukon but sticker price keeps me away from those. Probably have to go to a truck. Sierra or Silverado. Any thoughts on those?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.