Lake Michigan Trip Charter – Options?

• nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Looking for input on a fall trip. The boss (real one) asked where he should go to take his boy for a trip he promised. He was thinking going out of Racine, no clue why. These guys will be looking to catch fish and possibly take a meal or two home. I could not even pretend to know where he should go and I’m pretty sure him and the boy arent looking for an adventure in my bass boat out there…. Definitely looking for a charter trip. Any help appreciated as always.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

the fish are in close now so about any boat can catch them with the proper technique. Not sure of the charters in that area though. Good luck.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Launch point not important will be traveling from Madison.

luv2rapala

If they are willing go a little north (Kewaunee)
    Slam dunk sport fishing with Captn Steve Gross was the hot boat in port most of the summer.
    Find him at Slamdunksportfishing.com

finman

The Willie Bee out of Two Rivers, WI- Capt. Keith will put you on some fish!!

Joe
    Pool 7

Sheboygan always has great fishing. Dumper Dan has numerous charters and will get you on the fish.
    http://www.dumperdan.com/

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

When is el jefe looking to get out? Right now, a large number of the four year olds are allready in the harbor, but waves of fish will continue to filter in throughout the next month. If they are most concerned with taking a meal home, an offshore charter would be a good bet because they can go out and catch 2 and 3 year old kings as well as coho and steelhead for table fare. If they are just looking to go out and have a great time catching fish and possibly take home a few for the smoker, I would look to small boat guides who are fishing inside the harbors right now. There are many light tackle aproaches to catch the big kings and it can be an absolute riot. The only downside is that you will not probably catch any “grillable” fish.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Quote:

Sheboygan always has great fishing. Dumper Dan has numerous charters and will get you on the fish.
    http://www.dumperdan.com/

We used Dumper Dan this summer and had a great time.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Not to hijack Nics post but I have a question. I was on one charter trip in my life. I guess I was never so disappointed in a trip. Maybe it was the captain, maybe standard practice there, I don’t know. Anyway we go out, I believe there was 6 of us. The captain says “We will set the lines, once we have a hit the first mate will set the hook and hand the rod to whoever is up next to reel it in. Get it reeled in, we will unhook it and then the next guy is up.”

So, this is what’s done for the 2-3 hours we are out. They rig the lines, they set the hook, you reel the fish. Here is the part that bothered me the most. It was very obvious to me that they wanted to fill us up and get back into port as quick as possible. To that end the motor NEVER ONCE came out of gear. When you reeled the fish you were reeling against the pull of the boat. Nearly impossible to feel the fight or size of the fish. I understand it would take a bunch of time to retrieve and reset those lines every time a fish was on. But really, what fun is it reeling in a fish that feels like a boot coming in?

Very, very disappointed in the experience and would never go back again.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Quote:

Not to hijack Nics post but I have a question. I was on one charter trip in my life. I guess I was never so disappointed in a trip. Maybe it was the captain, maybe standard practice there, I don’t know. Anyway we go out, I believe there was 6 of us. The captain says “We will set the lines, once we have a hit the first mate will set the hook and hand the rod to whoever is up next to reel it in. Get it reeled in, we will unhook it and then the next guy is up.”

So, this is what’s done for the 2-3 hours we are out. They rig the lines, they set the hook, you reel the fish. Here is the part that bothered me the most. It was very obvious to me that they wanted to fill us up and get back into port as quick as possible. To that end the motor NEVER ONCE came out of gear. When you reeled the fish you were reeling against the pull of the boat. Nearly impossible to feel the fight or size of the fish. I understand it would take a bunch of time to retrieve and reset those lines every time a fish was on. But really, what fun is it reeling in a fish that feels like a boot coming in?

Very, very disappointed in the experience and would never go back again.

I don’t charter, but my boat never stops forward movement while fishing. The point of running all those lines is to try to catch multiple fish from the school.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.