Metal roof

• rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

Anyone do this themselves? Have a rambler with a 6/12 pitch and one dormer to work around.Cannot be that hard to do but curious how to deal with valleys.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Valley tin I am building a shouse right now at mille and will be tinning it in a couple weeks no dormers though

bck
    Big Stone Lake Sd

Which type of metal roof? Standing seam residential or pole barn steel. I have done both as a contractor. I dont like the look of the barn steel on a home. The standing seam roof is a good product, pretty easy to install.Having said that I went with shingles on my home that I built in 2010, only reason was I prefer the look of shingles.

rgoi812

Residential,Covering up shingles tat design homes used 13 years ago.

bck
    Big Stone Lake Sd

Im not familiar with tat design homes but that doesn’t matter. The standing seam roof is a good product when installed properly. They make all the neccesary flashing you will need to do the valleys on the dormer. my only advice is to take your time,specifically do not over tighten any exposed fasteners, they have a gasket but if you overtighten them you render it worthless and the roof will leak over time,obviously not much but a leak is a leak. When we do metal roofs we use a cordless and adjust it to 11-14 so it gears out before you overtourqe the screw.Hope this helps, good luck.

tslonek
    Coon Rapids,Mn

I put mine on last summer an it was pretty easy. Main thing is getting that first sheet installed squared up with the roof. I put on the exposed fastner type roof and put ice and water over the entire roof.

bck
    Big Stone Lake Sd

great idea with the ice and water over the entire roof.I think the new synthetics are better but you need a cap nailer as staples void the warranty.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Anyone do this themselves? Have a rambler with a 6/12 pitch and one dormer to work around.Cannot be that hard to do but curious how to deal with valleys.

If you go to the various manufacturer’s websites, they have installation guides and videos that you can download so you can have a look at what’s involved. The guides I’ve looked at cover everything I could think of, from roof prep to vallleys, to ridges, etc. Menards might also have them for the roof brand they carry.

From doing a couple of exposed fastener metal sheds, I can tell you that I really like the stuff. It’s amazing how fast it goes if you’re used to laying asphalt shingles. I did the roof on my 8X12 garden shed by myself in a couple of hours. Ashpalt shingles would have been a day.

However. . .

I’m not a fan of leaving old shingles down. In fact, I hate the idea. All kinds of bad [censored] could be hiding under those shingles and it’s way easier to fix it now rather than after you just put down a metal roof that will last 100 years. I wouldn’t chance it. Spend the extra couple of hours and tear the shingles off and do it right.

Also, just in my rookie opinion, there’s definately a learning curve to working with metal. I’d be tempted to get some estimates and see if it’s worth your while.

Grouse

bck
    Big Stone Lake Sd

Another great point from Famous Grouse. dont trust what is underneath, starting from scratch is the best.another point he had was with the compamy you buy the product from. most offer an online tutorial on instalation.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

MN code does not allow lay over roofing any longer….
    Not that it was ever a good idea, just a lazy one.

rgoi812

Thanks for your input everyone, We will see how it goes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.