A freaking miracle…

• armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

OK so it’s a bit lame, but…

I left 2 boxes of nightcrawlers in the truck last night… my wife had the car to run errands today and didn’t get back until close to 5.

I ran outside to grab them and, lo and behold, there was 1 dead one between the 2 boxes. I dumped them in the sink and ran cool water on them, added a bit of water to the boxes and then added the dirt back in.

I was just kinda blown away that they managed to survive the temps in the car without turning to mush. Being in styrofoam and that being in my backpack must have created JUST enough thermal barrier that they were OK. Granted they weren’t happy until I cooled them down a bit, but…

Anyway… just saying.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

One more day and you probably never woulda set foot in that car again.

fishdale

Quote:

One more day and you probably never woulda set foot in that car again.

Thats the truth. Leave a couple minows in a bucket in the car for a couple of days and you won’t ever do it again.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

This is at least I once a week occurance for me. Just had to remove a bag of cut sucker out of a truck I hadn’t used for a WEEK.
    Needless to say it was juice and not sucker no more. The truck can sit there for another week with the windows open now haha

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Do you think the leaches I left in the cooler in the back of my truck on sunday night are still good to go? Anyone want to go look for me?

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

Do you think the leaches I left in the cooler in the back of my truck on sunday night are still good to go? Anyone want to go look for me?

The vomit started to come up thinking of that. My dad left a Leech Locker in the livewell of the boat at the cabin as a kid. Put it back on the lift, covered it, and came back a week or two later and dear god the nightmares.

armchairdeity

I just did that the other day. A few suckers left in the bait bucket in the back of the truck on an 80°… I nabbed it just in time that leaving the windows open for a few hours aired things out OK.

Then again, the 3 10″+ suckers and handful of 3-4″ suckers I left in the bait bucket after our outing Sat night just made it to the trash this morning. I was just thinking “Did I get those into the freezer?” when I opened the bait bucket and found the answer. Along with about 3 lbs of dead flies and yellow jackets.

I just HATE wasting the money on this stuff. I’m going to engineer a portable bait system with an integrated power inverter, aerator, moderate filtration and tap water cleaning system. Yes, yes I am.

I’m just glad I caught those crawlers and was stunned to see them all still moving.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Night crawlers are amazing. They are natures giant worms.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Or you can take all that cured juice liquid and make a catfish doughball out of it! Man that would roll the stomach, but it would probably work good.

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

Several years ago, I caught and cleaned some catfish late at night. I put the leftovers in a black trash in the back of my truck.
    Took a few minutes to figure out what that smell was in the parking lot when I got off work the next afternoon.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Once back about 1968 I went fishing with a bud and we caught about 30 or more crappies, didn’t have anything to put them in but found a old gunny sack, dumped them in the trunk and went home.

That was on a sat, the next thursday I went to use the car again as I had been riding the bike, the smell almost killed me, considering it was late July.

Bag held pretty much all mush at that point and the car detailer replaced all the foam and matting in the truck and spent the better part of a day and my paycheck to finally get the car not to smell so bad I couldn’t drive it.

Still had a odor for months after that.

Al

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Once back about 1968 I went fishing with a bud and we caught about 30 or more crappies, didn’t have anything to put them in but found a old gunny sack, dumped them in the trunk and went home.

That was on a sat, the next thursday I went to use the car again as I had been riding the bike, the smell almost killed me, considering it was late July.

Bag held pretty much all mush at that point and the car detailer replaced all the foam and matting in the truck and spent the better part of a day and my paycheck to finally get the car not to smell so bad I couldn’t drive it.

Al

Reminds of the scene from Grumpy Old Men; man that had to be the worst smell imaginable.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

Mike I love rotten leeches for bullhead bait.they get a leathery texture and and are almost impossible to remove from the hook. They work good fro channels too.

armchairdeity

Quote:

Al

Holy crap Allen… What a story.

In 2008 I forgot worms and suckers in the truck often enough that it developed a bit of a perpetual odor via the A/C ducts. And it was our family vehicle.

I was not popular that summer.

armchairdeity

Quote:

This is at least I once a week occurance for me. Just had to remove a bag of cut sucker out of a truck I hadn’t used for a WEEK.
    Needless to say it was juice and not sucker no more. The truck can sit there for another week with the windows open now haha

At least it was a plastic bag? lol

mrwalleye
    MN

I was at a garage sale last year and opened a small Igloo cooler that said $1 on it, I was thinking to myself it would make a great bait bucket for icefishing, but when I cracked the seal and the smell from the 6 month old minnows hit me I puked instantly

armchairdeity

Quote:

I was at a garage sale last year and opened a small Igloo cooler that said $1 on it, I was thinking to myself it would make a great bait bucket for icefishing, but when I cracked the seal and the smell from the 6 month old minnows hit me I puked instantly

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.