Hellbender??

• iceman35
    upstate New York

just dug through some boxes in the basement, found an old Hellbender lure, 30+yrs old… white. any thoughts on its uses?? seems like a deep diving trolling type deal… (small spinner on the back…) was thinking maybe get rid of the spinner and try a Walleye fly on a leader…
    got a thousand island trip in 2 weeks, might wanna drag this thing around up to the big river… any ideas??

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

They were designed to use with the spinner on them so if it were I, I would leave it on the the lure.

Its value it not high in most cases $5 and up to $30 in the HARD to find colors,so if you are willing to take the chance of losing it ,go fish with it.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The Hellbender was made by Whopper-Stopper and was introduced in the 1950’s. The model you have has a value of $5.00 to $10.00. If you have the original box and the lure is in exceptional condition, you might get the $30.00 mentioned. These are not an un-common bait.

I’d leave the flasher in place and go ahead and try long-lining it along deep breaklines or over deep gravel/rock.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

In the 80’s I remember catching northern all day long with them. We would long line them as mentioned above.

FDR

iceman35
    upstate New York

thanks for the info. wasn’t looking to sell, but fishability… took it to the lock today for some casting… deep digging lure. lotta wobble at slow speed. neat white herringbone pattern. just replaced the hooks and its ready to rumble… just looks very pike, walleye lake trout friendly…

rmartin
    United States

Caught my biggest northern to date on one.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.