No-stop inspections… say what?

• armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

I was pulling the pontoon boat home from Medicine Lake they other day. Went thru an intersection with a New Hope PD SUV sitting at the stoplight on the cross street. Got to the next light when he was coming up behind me in the other lane and suddenly stopped about, well, the length of my truck plus the boat before he got to the light.

When the light changed, he took off slowly, parallel with the boat till we got thru the intersection and then suddenly swerved into the lane directly behind me… couldn’t have been more than 5 or 10 feed behind the boat.

I was braced to get a ticket for a trailer light out.

He was back there for about 30 seconds to a minute and then suddenly he jumped back into the other lane and sped up past me.

Took me a minute to realize he was looking at my drain plug sockets, not my trailer lights.

I had a bit of a chuckle when I thought about him getting all excited about being able to bust a boat that big (on the trailer it’s about 8′ wide and overall 30′ long) on Bass Lake Road… bummer dude, better luck next time.

jerry b
    western WI

We were chatting about that at the coffee shop, do the “tooners” have to pull their threaded plugs too??- – jerr

armchairdeity

My pontoon didn’t come with drain plugs, but it DID come with about 15 gallons of water in each log. So I had a guy up in Coon Rapids cut a panel out of each side and weld a thicker piece of aluminum in their place. I had him thread them and was using plastic screw-in plugs for a while.

Now I use small versions of this drain plug:

They’re about 3/4″ long and the tab is just big enough to flip with my fingers. Heckuva lot easier than having to carry a vice grip or something to unscrew the chewed-up plugs in and out.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

My guess is when he was beside your boat he was getting your license plate #

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Was he wearing a black suit?

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Quote:

Was he wearing a black suit?

You Kid. Though you can not deny the fact with these new laws enforcement has new tools to pull someone over, aside from the watered down justifiable cause.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sounds like you had a close encounter with Barney Fife.

Pontoons bring up a good point. Is there a clause for them? Permanent plugs are not meant to be taken off over and over again.

Pretty soon a trailer hitch will be probably cause. FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

llong

The toons are exempt from the law. It is on the DNR website somewhere about it. In the splashwell area if there is a plug that has to be pulled though.

armchairdeity

Seriously? Cool! I may put my permanent plugs in and leave them there if research bears out the fact that they are exempt.

As for checking my plates, he was never in any position to be able to check any of my plates. He was too far back to see the plate on the truck and the trailer has no plates. Other than checking plugs (or maybe he really was all about the freaking lightbulb) I can’t think of anything else he could have been doing.

Too weird.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.