Big Pond is on fire!

• eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Well after a week of tough fishing following a big Northeast blow things are back to “normal” out on lake michigan. Well, normal for this year I guess. Kings are back on suicide watch! Fished every day last weekend for Salmon-A-Rama and the bite was nothing short of incredible. Almost everybody is limiting out daily its really just a matter of how quick you do it and how heavy your cooler is when you come in. The catch lately has been dominated by kings in the 12-17lb range with a few cohos, rainbows, and greaseballs mixed in. Drag screaming kings are always the focus though as their fight:taste ratio is by far the best. Flasher-fly combos have been the best for us on riggers and dipsys but spoons are doing damage as well, especially off the boards. When we are out “fun fishing” we skip on the boards though as they arent nearly as fun to reel in as the riggers or dipsy rods.
    So, if youre one of those “land-locked” guys who only makes a few runs to the big pond per year, I’d suggest swinging over some time soon, as this fishing is truly as good as it gets. Heck, I honestly think you MN walleye guys could come out with your cranks and harnesses and catch a limit right now! But seriously, its that good.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Where are you launching?

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Tom- I launched out of three different ports last weekend trying to find bigger fish (20lbrs). Port Washington (friday), Milwaukee(saturday), and Racine(sunday). No port was any better than another IMO. Fishing is great everywhere. Fish and bait seem to be stacked up in 80-120 fow and the productive zone seems to be anywhere below 50 down. Found our best average size south of Mil town where some cold water snuck in closer to shore. Nothing but four year olds in that area.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.