First daddy-daughter fishing outing starts… now.

• armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

But I’m freaking nervous… I feel like I’m about to either make or break my best fishing buddy ever.

She’s 4. I want to put her on fish. I want to be patient. I want to teach her.

I want it to be perfect.

I want it to make her a life-long lover of fishing. I want the opportunity to teach her about nature’s balance, the food chain, respect for all creatures.

I want it to be perfect. But then I ask myself:

Perfect for who? For me? So I can puff my chest and feel like an awesome Dad? Or for her, so she can develop that life-long love of the outdoors?

If I’m really honest? BOTH!

I’m just afraid I’m gonna screw it up. Which is silly… but it’s true. It just needs to be fun, which she and I do all the time, playing, talking, hanging out… it’s no big deal, but it feels like it is.

Anyone else ever felt this way?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I have two grown daughters that still like to fish, and even better they still like to fish with the Old Man…

A couple of thoughts:

1) They don’t have to actually fish. It’s OK to bring along the Barbie Doll or coloring book or whatever. It’s all about time spent together having fun.

2) 4 year-olds have short attention spans. This is going to be a half hour deal and then it’s on to something else.

3) Sunfish. Actually, stunted Sunfish are perfect for kids because there are a million of them and they’re stupid and they’re small and they’re pretty. Perfect fish for little kids.

4) If you sit down and think about how many summers you actually get with them before they grown up and are off with jobs and school and everything else, you realize that every day together right now is precious.

5) There’s a special place in Heaven for people who go fishing with little kids.

Have fun!

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Bring plenty of toys and treats. Its not about the fishing its about the time together. If she wants to play let her play. If you need to help quit fishing. If she enjoys her time on the boat or the shore she will want to go back. The fishing will come. If she wants to go home, go home.

tstatz
    wis

I have a 30 year old daughter who still enjoys fishing w. old dad. When she was 4 the only criteria for her to come along was…are we going to have good snacks? Still makes me laugh. Have fun! Tom

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

I have 2 daughters…Both have taken gun safety courses (mostly due to having guns in the house…) and have been fishing with me many times. They never really took to fishing. Was I upset about that? Yup! But I realized something…I just needed something in common with them so as we could interact with each other as a dad/daughter relationship. That “something” ended up being Volleyball! Now I travel the country watching them play JO volleyball and I use all my vacation time doing it! It is a blast watching them play and I look forward to every match on their schedule…

My only point is that if fishing doesn’t become the #1 thing in her life make sure and enjoy something else as I am sure they will have some fun hobbies you will also enjoy! RR

armchairdeity

Thank you, guys… “one generation teaches another” applies to more than just fishing.

One dad to others… I appreciate the encouragement.

Hr mm’s putting her sunscreen on her now. Then, OFF WE GO!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I may have been a little to serious about fishing with my son when he was younger. Very seldom does he go now. My girls on the other hand where just bugging me earlier this week to to. Early fishing trips with them was always fish a little go play a lot. Spent far more time running around on the river banks and boating around looking at this and that with the girls than we ever did fishing.

Its not a fishing trip. Its a fun trip where you hope to get to do a little fishing.

armchairdeity

Quote:

I may have been a little to serious about fishing with my son when he was younger. Very seldom does he go now. My girls on the other hand where just bugging me earlier this week to to. Early fishing trips with them was always fish a little go play a lot. Spent far more time running around on the river banks and boating around looking at this and that with the girls than we ever did fishing.

Its not a fishing trip. Its a fun trip where you hope to get to do a little fishing.

Wow. What a great way to put it.

I am now refusing to look at the computer screen again till we get back.

Laterz!

mudneck_joe
    SE MN

My daughter is two and she loves fishing NOW. Who know’s for the future, but one thing i do know.

If they are asking “when can we go in” it is already too late. Good Luck and I wish you the best. Also, The species does not mean much to them as much as catching something. Quantity not quality seems more important. Also just hanging out together. Keep yourselfs cool.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Hope you had a fun day with your daughter!

Couple things I learned while spending time with my 4 kids on the water;
    -if the bite is crazy you can forget fishing. Instead take the opportunity to teach them some of what it takes to catch fish. They are lil’ sponges that love learning new things. Things like why you use the hooks, bait, location, etc. It may not seem like it means much but it will help build them a basis as to why you fish.
    -make sure the gear is kid friendly. if they master the snoopy pole quickly bring them up to speed on a small spinning reel and rod. makes fishing so much easier and if casting is an option, they seem to love that… casting in the yard is fun if boredom ever sets in. (not much of that today with our busy, busy, busy life styles)
    – like many have said, it’s not about the fishing or the catch rate. it’s about creating memories for the 2 of you that nobody will ever take away.

I like the comment about a special place in heaven for Dads like yourself. Nice work!

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Sounds like I should consider myself extra lucky because my 3 year old daughter could practically stay out as long as me and actually fish. There are times that worms are more fun than watching a bobber or a snack is in order but when the fish are biting and she’s reeling life couldn’t be better for her.

I’ll echo the idea that sunfish are a good target because they can keep the action hot and the youngster interested in hanging on to the reel handle. Bringing a couple of toys along is always something I do but I have yet to break them out for her.

One thing I think is really important is when they say it’s time to go it is time to go… no questions; even if the fish are biting it’s time to go. After all, it is all about their time on the water and not yours.

Have a blast and good luck! Here are some pics from two weeks ago that prove life doesn’t get any better than when my daughter is catching fish on my boat.

sandmannd

My daughter is going on seven and will last an entire day in the boat with me. In fact, I very rarely get to go without her and I wouldn’t have it any other way!!

First thing, don’t bother fishing yourself, it’s not about you. Only time I hold the rod is if she’s bored and is doing something else (doesn’t happen anymore but when she was younger).

Go somewhere with tons of small sunfish and not too busy. This keeps them into fishing longer.

Bring snacks and toys so when they don’t want to fish they find something else that’s fun to do in the boat or on the shore.

Let her drive the boat. Put it just in gear and let her tool around a little. Start by having her stand in front of you. This gives them a giant thrill.

Most important, take your camera so you have memories to last forever.

Always make it fun and about her and you will have a fishing partner for life.

chirp
    Rochester

Have great memories of fishing with my daughters when they were young. Now one still loves to fish the other can take it or leave it. My son never liked to fish when he was young maybe my fault, but now at 21 loves to fish. Even asks when we are going again. You just never know. Just enjoy the younger years no matter what you do with the kids. They grow up way to fast. I’m just glad they still enjoy hanging out with Mom and Dad doing whatever. We must have done something right. Enjoy your time.

armchairdeity

Thank you guys for all the supportive input. I really was nervous. But we were just us and we had a blast.

I’ll put up another post with the pics, a link to the video and the whole schlamele. Just one thing:

SHE BAITED HER OWN HOOK WITH CRAPPIE MINNOWS ALL FREAKING DAY!

And she complained to beat heck when I finally called it at about 9:30PM.

Rockin!!!

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

first time out is special

My kids are now in their late twenties,and I still get a kick out of fishing wih them.

Come to think of it I think they get a kick out of fishing with me.

The table has turned

beck
    Menomonie, WI

Glad to hear you two had a great day. First time out is pretty special. Congrats to you both.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Congrats on the great outing!

armchairdeity

As promised, started a new thread with pics…

In the panfish forum.

What a bunch of amazing people. James, you should be proud of your IDOers… cuz we freaking rock.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

only thing i want to reiterate is the catching part. 10 sunfish are WAY better than 1 walleye. the Eyes can come later.

however, IF, after they’ve caught a few, you are pretty certain that you can ge tthem on something BIG (a 5# catfish), THAT’S the next step.

we picked up a 5# northern over the weekend and my daughter’s eyes were bugging out: “Wow, daddy, you finally caught something BIG!!”

chirp
    Rochester

Sounds like an awesome time was had by both of you. Congrats.

armchairdeity

Quote:

only thing i want to reiterate is the catching part. 10 sunfish are WAY better than 1 walleye. the Eyes can come later.

however, IF, after they’ve caught a few, you are pretty certain that you can ge tthem on something BIG (a 5# catfish), THAT’S the next step.

we picked up a 5# northern over the weekend and my daughter’s eyes were bugging out: “Wow, daddy, you finally caught something BIG!!”

Yeah, that’s why I went for panfish rather than cats. Besides, we need to save some things for fishing out of the boat.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.