Smashed finger nails

• wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

So this weekend got my fingers smashed between a couple garage door panels, two are swallen and discolored, thinking of going to urgent care to relieve the pressure and pain if possible. Is this something you can do at home, never smashed my fingers this bad before.

Any thoughts on home rememdies or just go to Dr.?

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

my non-medical advice is to go in and get an Xray to confirm/deny that you have broken fingers…

I think that cold/ice packs are the preferred treatment.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

In the past I’ve hit a nail or two and used a very small drill bit to relieve pressure, not sure how wise it was, but it worked.
    For you, I think I’d go in and make sure everything is ok. imho

Al

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

heat up the end of a safety pin and poke a hole in the nail in the cuticle area. I feel your pain!

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Holy OUCH !!!

I can only imagine your pain

Mike Stephens
    WI.

If they are blood blistered I insert a heated needle to the very edge of the “purple” then apply pressure to relieve the built up pressure. Works every time for me.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Go to your Doctor our Urgent Care.
    I smashed my middle right finger tip in a garage door in 95, actually broke the bone in the tip.

Had to wear a splint a couple weeks, they set the bone and today all is great. Could have had permanently disfigured.

looked like I was flipping everybody off.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

I’m considering that but 10yrs ago maybe, but now not sure if I can handle it sober…lol I thinking dr for the less chance of anything else being wrong

sandmannd

You have insurance for a reason, go to the doc and not have to worry about it being something more or getting infected.

tsamp
    eldora, iowa

Paper clip or similar- heat red hot and touch to nail, or have significant other do it. It melts right through and pressure is gone. That is what they will do at hospital, then x ray and tell you to go home. Depends on your co-pay and yuck factor. Worst that can happen is you finger(s) fall off.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

If you do it yourself, wear eye protection. If there is a lot of pressure under the nail, when the needle melts through, you will get a geyser of “juice”. And then it will hurt. If you have insurance, I would let a doctor do it.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Go fishing with my two sons and let them cast crankbaits around you.

You will certainly get hooked in the hands, by accident, while unhooking fish – when they pull on the rod – or the fish jumps and they flinch. All fun!!!!

They might even say “Sorry, Dad”. The pressure will be released and you will still have sore hands.

I feel your pain!!!! Go to the Doctor!!!! You will surely have peace of mind and be “on the mend” on the way home.

Dog

Doug Sponseller
    Houghton Lake, Michigan

Do you have blood under the finger nail? Can you fell the throbbing every time your heart beats? The pressure of the blood under the nail is what is causing the pain. I watched ER Dr do this lots of times. Take a small paper clip, straighten out one end of it. Heat it til red hot, gently push on nail until it burns hole in nail. Push real easy…if it goes thru the nail and thru the pool of blood…it will hurt. If you go easy the wire hits the pool of blood and you will not feel it. You should fell relief as soon as pressure is reduced. Dr would have to decide on nature of the injury if he wanted an x-ray.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

A heated paper clip or heavy pin has worked for me in the past. Keep the area clean and you will be fine.

Can you please take a video when you do it?

cdn
    West Central, MN

Wade,

I performed the exact same mishap years ago, pulled down a solid wood garage door without paying attention.. the worst pain I’ve ever experienced.

At the Dr. office they will use a tool that is super hot, melt a hole in the nail to relieve pressure. I don’t recall if they use local anethetics or just burn the nail. They will send you home and tell you to keep it bandaged. The hot paper clip trick should work too.

I worked construction with this injury and it was total pain with every swing of the hammer . The nail finally fell off a couple weeks later.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.