Two 98 million dollar contracts

• JimmyClark
    Eagle Point Wi. USA

Lets see now, 2 hockey players at 98 million each for the next 13 years. Lets try to put it into perspective. If some of the fishing guides on this site would like, answer this question: How many guided fishing trips would you have to give in order to make that kind of cash, and how long would you estimate it would take you to do them?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

They probably would reach it pretty quick if they could get 18,000 to pay to watch them fish every trip. Got some corporate sponsors. Were able to sell a TV and radio contract for rights to cover their trips. Sold beer and food at ever guided trip.

Don’t be hating. Your Packers will be fine.

JimmyClark
    Eagle Point Wi. USA

No hate involved Pug. Just read this in the newspaper and bout fell out of my chair! Should be a big boost huh?

kroger3
    blaine mn

715 years of everyday guiding full day trips. Give or take a few of course….

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

Its a good sign but also a very expensive sign. I expect playoffs at worst and stanley contenders at best. This is huge news for minnesotans and wild fans. Its about time the state of hockey starts acting like the state of hockey.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Don’t kid yourselves…in the end we are all paying those salaries indirectly. Don’t you think all those “sponsors” costs trickle down to the working stiff, one way or another.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Like Pug said it’s ALL about putting butts in seats and selling product. Personally I don’t care what they cost as long as they can contend and make hockey interesting again. My biggest fear is they became salary strapped and can’t afford to add any needed parts. Time will tell about that.

If they can win a cup in the next 3 years the money will be there and then some. Championships bring big time revenue for years to come.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The pay for pro athletes is way out of hand. I don’t blame the athletes I blame US the fans for it getting to this point. These athletes are being pain way more that Dr’s who save peoples lives everyday, WAY WAY more than those risking their lives to keep us safe every day, Ect. Why – Because they hit a ball better than most, Run faster, Jump higher. Its a crazy world we live in !!!!

jigging_jag
    SE Minnesota

Land of the free and money is key! I like the 98 million and not 100 million sounds much better .

herb
    6ft under

I wouldn’t play for anything less.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Quote:

Don’t kid yourselves…in the end we are all paying those salaries indirectly. Don’t you think all those “sponsors” costs trickle down to the working stiff, one way or another.

Yep! I’m just thankful Berkeley,Rapala,St Croix, and Owner don’t sponsor sports teams yet.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

No hate involved Pug. Just read this in the newspaper and bout fell out of my chair! Should be a big boost huh?

Sorry. I read it the wrong way. Hope my reply didn’t get things off track. It was a knee-jerk reaction because one of my pet peeves is people complaining that athletes are over paid.

starvin pilgrim

People have to remember that most all contracts are incentive laden. Number of goals, assists,minutes,All Star appearances, etc. Other than guaranteed money, the rest has to be earned on the ice. If you want to blame someone, blame George Steinbrenner. Back in the 70,s he was the first owner to offer a huge over the top contract to Reggie Jackson, And the fans didn’t stop coming.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Yep! I’m just thankful Berkeley,Rapala,St Croix, and Owner don’t sponsor sports teams yet.

huh?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The cost of the products from Berkeley,Rapala,St Croix, and Owner will go up in direct proportion to the new stadium that will be built.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I just wanted to make sure ya’ll know that at least some of these companies sponsor or advertise with pro sports teams!!

ET

Brian Hoffies

If you want to blame someone, blame George Steinbrenner. Back in the 70,s he was the first owner to offer a huge over the top contract to Reggie Jackson, And the fans didn’t stop coming.

………..which led to the YES network, which led to World Series titles which led to a franchise being worth over 3 BILLION DOLLARS.

We can blame whoever we like, but the one thing for sure is none of us is turning that kind of cash down.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

They probably would reach it pretty quick if they could get 18,000 to pay to watch them fish every trip. Got some corporate sponsors. Were able to sell a TV and radio contract for rights to cover their trips. Sold beer and food at ever guided trip.

Don’t be hating. Your Packers will be fine.

You forgot jersey’s, hats, mugs, programs and other misc. souvenirs

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

You forgot jersey’s, hats, mugs, programs and other misc. souvenirs

I am sure there are more we missed.

Most of the NHL contract money is guaranteed. There aren’t a ton of performance bonuses, although there are a few exceptions.

The thing about these contracts that I find remarkable is that they said they wanted to be compensated identically. Parise’s market value was higher.

Willy D
    Nipawin, SK

Contracts still have to be approved by NHL.It is going to be intresting to see what happens,and how this will affect the barganing in the new CBA on contracts.I know from watching TSN yesterday that it sounds like a lot of GMs and Owners were not happy with the contracts, this may be sour grapes or they may now have a gun to their head. I would say it is shaping up to be another lock out. I say if the teams have the cap room they can spend their money as they please.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m sure lots of owners are mad that they didn’t get them or couldn’t afford them. These guys actually took less than they would have if they had gone to different teams.

I really don’t see how these contracts will handcuff the Wild in any way. Their yearly obligation to the pair is around 15M with a cap near 70M, is it not???

Every team needs a couple marquis players that will take up nearly 25% of the cap space in order to put butts in the seats, sell merchandise, etc…

Does this make the Wild a premier franchise in the NHL? Thats yet to be determined, but this is certainly the best possible thing that could have happened for free agent signings in order to move in that direction.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Here’s a great website for cap info…

NHL Cap

starvin pilgrim

In the Press this morn. they said the first years, the guaranteed money was 4 mil, then reduced as the contract went on. They also said the most his dad made was $100,000 for the 79-80 season. The time,s they are a changen.

deertracker

I’m just going to throw this out to the wild scouts. I will be playing hockey tonight at 830 in Alexandria. If you need a fourth string goalie that will play for $20,000 a year I’m available. Plus incentives of course.
    DT

Brian Hoffies

Quote:

I’m just going to throw this out to the wild scouts. I will be playing hockey tonight at 830 in Alexandria. If you need a fourth string goalie that will play for $20,000 a year I’m available. Plus incentives of course.
    DT

Geez, they couldn’t sign you even if they wanted to. Minimum wage this year is $525,000 seems you under valued yourself.

deertracker

FINE I’ll take the money but I’m not happy about it.
    DT

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.