Automatic Drain Plug

• Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

I spoke with someone, Steve Hirsch or Luke Skinner? And yes they said that if this thing works as advertised, this would be approved.

But I don’t think they make one yet that fits my Ranger drain plug threading.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Innovative.

But I think I will keep my $2.95 rubber plug and put $40 worth of fuel in my boat.

I can see some argument at the ramp on this one or a mid lake failure…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Innovative.

But I think I will keep my $2.95 rubber plug and put $40 worth of fuel in my boat.

I can see some argument at the ramp on this one…

In the time it would take me to walk back and verify that it worked I could unplug by hand. Not to mention I’m already back there putting on tie-down straps and securing the motor anyway. Plus I’m trusting my boat to stay on the dry side of the water line to a little flapper part that costs a couple bucks? What if a piece of flotation foam stops the flapper from closing when I come off plane? No thanks. The part of me that frets over details would go nuts worrying about this thing. But that’s just me.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Quote:

Innovative.

I can see some argument at the ramp on this one or a mid lake failure…

I agree that it’s not worth $40 to me either, but it’s a possible alternative for anyone who really feels put out by having to remove a plug every time out.

washburn
    Aitkin Mn

I think it is a good idea but I’d bet you would be arguing with CO’s after getting pulled over for having a plug in

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I agree with James, I would always be worrying that it will fail at some point and I will have water around my feet before I realized the problem. Of course if it did fail it would not be on a hot sunny calm day.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Do $50,000+ boats come with a float & buzzer, warning of taking on water ? I would assume so ??? I would think a little AIS, could render this plug inoperable fairly easily…

BBKK
    IA

No thank you!

What do you do when the thing freezes open on the trailer? Guess you cant fish when the air temps have been below freezing.

big_g
    Isle, MN

my physics backround tells me when you immerse it in water above 32′ it thaws.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

If it came with a switch that would drain your livewell from inside your truck I would be interested…

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

I’m having a bit of trouble with the, I have a $30-60k boat and $40 is to much to spend thinking….??

If it works, seems like a nice idea.

Al

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I am using a plug from bass boat soloutions. Uses a rubber plug that is put in or out by a cable like a live well valve. Its been working great so far.

Mwal

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I had no idea that this would lead to this much discussion… Just had someone forward this link to me this afternoon day and thought I would share.

Personally I’m in the same camp as most since I’m already at the back of the boat every time I load/unload the boat anyway removing the plug is no big deal. I guess the question should be, is the reliability of an auto draining plug higher or lower than the probability that someone may forget to put the plug back in every time? Not that I’ve ever done something like that

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

I’ve forgot the drain plug installation a few times myself. Not fun when the water temp is sub 50°……
    This is an interesting solution!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Maybe it is more about remembering to put it in…

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

I’ve forgot the drain plug installation a few times myself.

Do you think having a sticker would help you remember

Hey Blue, you up for helping Paul out

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

The concern I would have is trusting that it drains and doesn’t stop up. I can see the plug plugging up and then the boat filling up with rain water and collapsing the axle on the trailer.

Great thinking on the inventors part with the MN Plug Law on the books. Some people will go for it.

timmy

The way the law reads…..the drain plug must be removed. A stern warden or VNP ranger would ticket you in a heartbeat regardless of whether the thing drains or not.

The law states it must be removed……and our local warden enforces the law to the letter….. He does NOT give warnings.

T

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

This is the reason I will buy one…..

Quote:

The BAIL-R-MATIC will also drain your boat when you reach full throttle each and every time.

This will be handy in my 14′ floater. It is not all that easy to run a boat down the river while trying to pull the plug to get rid of water, then put the plug back in. Not all that safe to do either. If this works as advertised, there will be a lot of guys with smaller boats and no bilge pump buy into this neat little item.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ll check them out next year when the price is down to $10.00

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

We out here in Airport land, have many computer operated electronic valves. We use them on water services, and sanitary sewer operations… that being said I would never trust one on my boat.

D SG

Those of us who have their boat on a lift often have the same, but more difficult issue: the drain plug is not accessible from the dock. I was not comfortable risking my expensive boat with a flimsy or failure-prone plug.

I tried the quick oil drain plugs, which can be amenable to opening and closing from the dock, using a custom tool on a stick. The problem was these valve levers must
    be lifted to open, and the ID is only 3/8” for the 1/2” valve.

I found a mueller
    210-524HC locking gas valve that requires a “push” and twist to open, which is easily accomplished with a simple tool on a stick. The 3/4” valve has a large ID that can be reduced to 1/2” if needed.

This has worked well. The valve is very sturdy, and is not easily damaged even though it sticks out about 3” from the transom. If you forget to close the valve before the boat is in the water, it can still be closed by hand (you will get wet!)

Attachments:
    1. 5953A6C4-C55A-4F26-A741-C22BB80AD8C6-scaled.jpeg

2. 1DF35F70-B067-4023-9E16-4E6825B0D619-scaled.jpeg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Those of us who have their boat on a lift often have the same, but more difficult issue: the drain plug is not accessible from the dock.

Is the plug not accessible from inside the boat? If so, just install it from the inside.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Google flow rite remote drain plugs. Your welcome.

cheers

I keep my boat on a lift and I cant reach the plug from the dock or over the transom so I use the automatic drain plug . It works well for me .

D SG

No it is not.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Thanks D SG! Great DIY tip!

cheers

not accessible easily

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.