Minn Kota Maxxum Question

• coot
    North Central Wisconsin

I have a Maxxum bow mount on my boat and I was wondering if anyone knows how I can lock down the steering on it. What I want to do is lock the steering component, use the bow mount for thrust, and steer the boat from my main outboard. This would allow me to achieve slower trolling speeds while pulling spinners as well as be more “stealthy” for those shallow ‘eyes. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

I don’t know if you can Lock it down. Also I don’t think it will steer like you think it will either. I’m almost positive it won’t steer that way. Trolling motors are like jet-ski’s–They go in the direction they are pointed in. If you try to steer with your outboard it may make sweeping wide turns on calm water, but in the wind you won’t have any control. My maxxum goes from 0 to 100% power–why can’t you go slow enough by turning down the power? If its an issue of not wanting to sit in the front of the boat get a transom mount and turn the head around for back trolling. I have both on my boat and I like both for different conditions. I hope this helps– Good Luck

Steve G

herb
    6ft under

Coot, I tend to agree with Steve G about the steering issues, but if you have to try it anyway, see if you can find some blocks of rubber that you can cut and shape to wedge under each end of the foot peddal.

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

O.K., I might be an idiot, but I thought I would ask the question anyway. I was always told there was no such thing as dumb a question, so I just keep asking them! I also may not have explained what I am hoping to accomplish either. I have a 17 1/2′ boat with a Maxxum on the bow, 150 hp for main motor, 8 hp 4-stroke kicker. On Green Bay I like to troll spinners (forward) on in-line trolling boards for shallow eyes, wide spreads, 3 boards out per side. I use my kicker for this & it usually works fine (I would like to go a little slower at times, however, which can be accomplished by using a drift sock to slow my troll). There are some spots where the water is extremely clear in the spring and I worry that the kicker may be spooking too many fish. I would like to use my bow mount to pull the spinner speads in these areas. This would allow me to adjust my speed to a crawl (I can adjust my maxxum from 0 to 100% as well) and hopefully not spook as many fish. My rod holders are set towards the back of the boat and my GPS is on the console, so being up front operating it by foot just isn’t as convenient. I had wondered if setting the speed and locking the steering on the maxxum would allow me to use it for the forward thrust and using my 150 hp (motor shut off) as a big rudder to steer with. You guys might be right that the thrust up front & the steering in the back might be a more of a hassle than it is worth. The ideal situation would be an autopilot on the front, but I like my maxxum (cable steering) for almost 90% of the time I use the bowmount and just hoped I could make what I had work for this situation. Sorry for the long explanation, & thanks for the input.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I like the rubber wedges idea, maybe even a couple pieces of soft pine may work. I thought there was a tension screw on the underside of the Maxxum pedals? Maybe I’m thinking Motorguide?

Anyway, I pull spinners like you describe and steer with the main motor, no prob.

herb
    6ft under

Coot, I knew how you were wanting to use this setup.
    Picture yourself driving a forklift. That’s what you’ll end up with-sort of a floating forklift. And if Jon says it can be done, go for it. But I would caution against using the tension screw. The weren’t designed to be adjusted in and out too many times. Once in awhile is fine but day in and day out and it just won’t hold tight anymore.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.