Flags for Whitney

• tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

Quote:

New Jersey also flew the flag at half staff for an entertainer allegedly involved with the mob. Frank Sinatra.

The Mob in Jersey. No such thing. Fagedaboudit!

deertracker

Quote:

Quote:

New Jersey also flew the flag at half staff for an entertainer allegedly involved with the mob. Frank Sinatra.

The Mob in Jersey. No such thing. Fagedaboudit!

We can’t believe you, your name has mob written all over it.
    DT

starvin pilgrim

Quote:

Quote:

I thought that was an honor for Heads of State, Military and Law Enforcement.

Quote:

No way should the Stars & Stripes be flown at half mast to honor the death of an entertainer

I selected a few quotes from this thread and I agree that I don’t think that the flags should be flown at half-staff for an entertainer, actor, or actress.
    I have a question for the rest of you to think about and want to know your thoughts on this subject.

In 2003, the flags were ordered by the President to be lowered to half-staff for a actor and entertainer, Bob Hope.

There is always an exception

Ron

Thanks ,that’s a very good point, and you are right. Bob Hope is the one true exception to the rule. He did more for our Military than any other entertainer. Loved the TV specials of him with the troops. No man funnier.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Quote:

In 2003, the flags were ordered by the President to be lowered to half-staff for a actor and entertainer, Bob Hope.

There is always an exception

Ron

Thanks for the Memory

Rob2001
    Savage, MN

Quote:

Anyone think that there will be a flag anywhere when any of us pass on to the great beyond?

The only flag I hope that is near is a tip-up flag!

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

Reference and more history: US Dept. of Veterans Affairs

Can the governor order the US flag half-staffed for anyone he or she chooses?

No. Section 7m of the Flag Code authorizes a governor to half-staff the US flag upon the death of a present or former official of the government of the state, or the death of a member of the Armed Forces from that state who dies while serving on active duty.

The President, by comparison, is authorized to half-staff the US flag by proclamation upon the death of principal figures of the US Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as well as in the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries.

We recommend flying the state flag at half-staff.
    •In the News: Governor Wrong to Have Flag Lowered to Half Staff for Celebrities [February 16, 2012]

A recent change allows governors to order the flag to half-staff to honor fallen soldiers from their state (see Public Law 110-41). The change was the result of governor proclamations, like this one from Governor Granholm of Michigan.

Some object to this extension of a governor’s authority because they feel half-staffing the flag for every fallen soldier can be seen as anti-war. Some feel that overuse cheapens the symbolic power of half-staffing the flag, traditionally reserved for political leaders.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I’m thinking this guy was probably at the funeral….

TB

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Now that was a tragedy. Dave Chappelle losing it and only giving us a couple seasons of the Chappelle show. RIP Chappelle Show.

deertracker

I wouldn’t say he lost it. He just fled to Africa to take a break.
    DT

musky_ben
    Red Wing, MN

‘nough said!

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Boy that ain’t no lie. I sure wish it was still on today….I wonder how many more Charlie Murphy stories we’d have….

The new Key & Peele isn’t too bad….but it’s no Chapelle.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.