anybody use Seafoam??

• iceman35
    upstate New York

I was wondering if any of you guys use Seafoam as a gas additive? I’ve been using it for the last year in my optimax and had no problems over the last year. Was just curious on your opinions… main reason I use it is it’s easy to get. I’ve been using a “cocktail” with my boat, truck and car. Startron, seafoam, Stabil. for the boat I start adding merc #3 stabilizer in about mid sept for winter. Thanks ahead of time for your replies!!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I always add some to the gas can for my 2-stroke outboards. I also found the cheapest place to get it is at site sponsor Fleet Farm

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Been using it for about four years now for winter storage…so far so good. I am going to add Startron after seeing the reviews for Ethanol treatment. Fortunately there are non ethanol gas options in town here.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I have used SeaFoam for years and only SeaFoam. I run a little in every tank and then for fall I bump up the amount so when it comes to winter storage the fuel is fully treated. I have never put anything else in with it. Just the SeaFoam and have had great results on all my outboards, 2 cycles and 4 cycles.

jon_wbl

Seafoam only, every time and then more in the winter. I’ve been using it so long I can remember paying $2 a can.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Yep, in the boat, mowers and chainsaw gas Anything that doesn’t burn a can or tank a week gets a shot Yep, Fleet Farm… end of the aisle

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

I use it. It is great with tonic and a little lime too.

shawnil

I used it per the directions on the can last year, seemed to help. For typical in-season use, about how much are y’all adding per gallon (or per six gallons)?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

My mower gets a shot of seafoam every spring.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

I’ve been using a “cocktail” with my boat, truck and car. Startron, seafoam, Stabil.

I would not mix these products. Stick with seafoam only IMO.

-J.

John Peterson
    Woodbury, Minnesota

For my Optimax I use the Mercury/Quuicksilver branded fuel treatments in non-oxy regular gasoline. I religously use Seafoam in my snowblower, lawnmower, etc. fuel—-which by the way is non-oxy as well.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I mix chainsaw/ice auger/weed trimmer gas in a 1 gallon can, I put about 1/4 cup of seafoam in each mix At seasons end, I fill up my riding mower and push mowers and add about 1 cup to my rider and 1/4 cup to the push mower. The boat gets filled up in the spring, 1 can of seafoam and quite honestly, if I fill up again, its a rarity.(bobber fisherman ) Everything fires right up and runs good for me doing this I also ran it in my snowmobile, which I just sold a couple weeks ago… a 1995 that started and ran on the 2nd pull always, after sitting for months without touching it.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I was at our new motorsports shop grand openning and there was a guy there from Justice Brothers doing demonstrations one of which was comparing seafoam to their fuel additive.
    The difference was amazing.
    The seafoam burned with a yellow flame and black smoke and left a residue on the glass container, the Justice Brothers (JB) burned so clean you couldn’t even see the flame but he held a paper towel over it and it started on fire so it was definitely burning and didn’t leave any residue. I didn’t run the experiment at home but I am going to in order to make sure there weren’t any shenanigans going on.
    It was definitely impressive though and something to take in to consideration.
    I didn’t even know Justice Brothers had all these other products and I use JB80 all the time, they have some pretty cool stuff, if it truly works as well as it did in the demonstrations.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Quote:

I was at our new motorsports shop grand openning and there was a guy there from Justice Brothers doing demonstrations one of which was comparing seafoam to their fuel additive.
    The difference was amazing.
    The seafoam burned with a yellow flame and black smoke and left a residue on the glass container, the Justice Brothers (JB) burned so clean you couldn’t even see the flame but he held a paper towel over it and it started on fire so it was definitely burning and didn’t leave any residue. I didn’t run the experiment at home but I am going to in order to make sure there weren’t any shenanigans going on.
    It was definitely impressive though and something to take in to consideration.
    I didn’t even know Justice Brothers had all these other products and I use JB80 all the time, they have some pretty cool stuff, if it truly works as well as it did in the demonstrations.

I am sure JB products are good but sounds like a gimmick way to sell a product. I would assume they would burn differently in an internal combustion engine. I have had nothing but stellar performance with SeaFoam for 20+ years and why try and fix something thats not broken. IMHO

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

The seafoam burned with a yellow flame and black smoke and left a residue on the glass container, the Justice Brothers (JB) burned so clean you couldn’t even see the flame but he held a paper towel over it and it started on fire so it was definitely burning and didn’t leave any residue.

I’m not so sure that tells you anything. Gasoline burns yellow with black smoke. Methanol and ethanol burn with an almost colorless flame and leave no residue. Does that mean I should put methanol in my tank instead of gas???

fireline
    Rochester

If it isn’t broke don’t fix it . Seafoam works for me .

milemark_714

Quote:

Been using it for about four years now for winter storage…so far so good. I am going to add Startron after seeing the reviews for Ethanol treatment. Fortunately there are non ethanol gas options in town here.

I started using Startron this fall,seems to work well.A little goes a long way.

The best fuel is non-oxy 87 octane if you can find it.No need for premium if your motor is not designed for it(high compression).

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

I’m not so sure that tells you anything. Gasoline burns yellow with black smoke. Methanol and ethanol burn with an almost colorless flame and leave no residue. Does that mean I should put methanol in my tank instead of gas???

I was thinking the same thing.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Sounds like the JB is alcohol… at least burns like it ??? Fine for removing water/moisture I guess….? Seafoam isn’t for boosting horsepower, it’s for keeping carbs clean of gum, lubricating and coating gaskets and keeping them wet/moisture. I would be turned off by something that burns hot and clean and doesn’t lubricate/coat internal parts such as needles, seats and gaskets for a extended storage time…

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

i agree with Jon and Big G.

Pick the one you think is best and use it alone. These products are designed to be run alone, not mixed.

iceman35
    upstate New York

Wow! thanks for all the responses! Gonna keep using it in my engines. Startron has a good following too. for winter storage prep, gonna go with the merc stuff #3 also. Great responses!!

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

I use Seafoam for storage only.

I use for Sta-bil everytime I fill up the tank when in use.

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

Seafoam for me too !!! use it religiously, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it !!!!

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

I always add some to the gas can for my 2-stroke outboards. I also found the cheapest place to get it is at site sponsor Fleet Farm

Can’t remember the last time I used anything else. Have an old Generac generator that was my dads. Wouldn’t run for nothing. Took the carb off, used seafoam to soak & clean it, put it together and back on, generator runs like a top…

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Huh… sounds like the opposite for intended use ??

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Sea Foam every tank all year long. I run it in everything but the cars

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Seafoam been using it forever with great results.

I have picked up some Startron and have been using it in the chainsaw and fourwheeler, jury is still out on keeping every thing clean like Seafoam does. Startron does not claim to clean like Seafoam does, that is where my apprehension lies.

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

Quote:

Quote:

Huh… sounds like the opposite for intended use ??

Thats what the head mechanics from R&R Marine told us at a presentation at the MN Boat show 2 years ago.

He did say many people have it backwards as to when to use the products.

jonboy
    Wausau, WI

Love it…Use it! Makes the old: Wilys Jeep, Mercedes and VW van run great too!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.