Forum or Facebook? Poll

• chubby
    Bloomington

It seems that everything I see and hear is asking me to like them on Facebook. I have never been all that enamored of Facebook and do not seem to get the attraction to it. I have several websites and need to do some more advertising.

I would like to see how others feel about it and would like to see at least 100 plus responses to get a more accurate feel for the appeal of Facebook vs. a forum to the average fisherman.

I think that I know what the answer is going to be but would still appreciate your input and thoughts.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

No moderation on Facebook = no control and too much garbage. Nice to see Companys postings on Facebook but people’s responses are garbage most of the time.

Also like the feeling of community such as IDO and BBC where I spend most of my net time.

My 2cents.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

It really depends on what you’re looking to advertise. You’re going to hit your exact target market better on a forum, but many many more people will see your ad on facebook. I still think that a good product advertised on the right site will sell more than a million people seeing it on facebook.

When I want to purchase something, I look for reviews and sites like this are great places to get them.

I will say though, that I think having a facebook page for your product/service isn’t a bad idea. If somebody is talking about what you have to offer, then people can see it without having to go directly to the forum. IDO for example has a facebook page. They have their own followers of the site, but having that facebook page certainly isn’t hurting them, and the more people that “Like” them, the more exposure they get.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Facebook = garbage

Don’t have one, never will!

Add twitter to that too….:)

You want me to like you?
    Come have a beer or two in my garage and we’ll see how it goes.

Al

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

You want me to like you?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Nothing wrong with Facebook if you manage it correctly. It is really good for getting industry news from fishing product manufacturers. Of course, it only works as well as the manufacturers you follow are dedicated to it. But I can get current updates from all of them in one place.

For instance Marcum does a good job. Some of it is the same info I find here, sometimes it isn’t.

Even some of the IDO Facebook posts are things I missed coming here every day.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Social Media does have is place and many companies are using it for marketing and advertising. As a developer I do not use it but our marketing team uses it heavily to reach new clients as well as current client.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That reminds me. I wasa also going to add that I have never clicked on an add on Facebook, certainly never clicked and bought anything. I have on IDO though.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Quote:

Facebook = garbage

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I dont have a facebook account and no plans to get one.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Facebook… Never heard of it

john23
    St. Paul, MN

They’re totally different animals. Think of IDO as a place to have a discussion about something. Think of Facebook as a place to tell people about something. I would imagine that a complete marketing plan would utilize both. Did you know that IDO is on facebook?

Oh, and if you’re thinking of starting a forum built around a product, think twice. Lots of websites have stale forums that seem pretty worthless to me. At least with facebook you don’t have to convince people to visit your site to get the news.

You advertise something here (a busy forum with regular traffic) and on your facebook page and you not only reach more people, you’ll hit some people twice.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

If you’re marketing a product, I would say use both.

Even though I trust more product information from IDO, Facebook if used propertly and sparingly is a great marketing tool.

I said Sparingly as I have Un-Liked a number of product/business pages due to them posting so much crap that it would fill numbers of pages up so that I wouldn’t see my family & friends posts.

Rapala does a great job of just a few posts with good information.

When I do see an Advertisement on Facebook, I’ll go to their website and check the product or service out.

Good Luck.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

I dont have a facebook account and no plans to get one.

That used to be my attitude…. but now, it is so easy to stay in the loop… even I don’t fall out Is there alot of garbage and friend requests that probably would have been better left alone… ABSOLUTELY !!! But the plus’s outnumber the negatives Like said, IDO is a much better place to get unbiased opinions and make a purchase

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Just because you don’t use it doesn’t mean it isn’t a viable outlet for advertising or communicating. I don’t use twitter, nor do I spend much time on facebook. I’m not going to insult all the people that chose to use it though just because I don’t. Lots of business is being done through facebook and other social media sites every day. Must have some value to somebody.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Facebook = garbage

You want me to like you?

Al

I couldn’t agree more Al.

I like your guys thinking. Most people use the term friend much too loosely these days.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Facebook = garbage

You want me to like you?

Al

I like your guys thinking. Most people use the term friend much too loosely these days.

Don’t knock something until you have tried it, IDO has a facebook page for one reason to drive more traffic to IDO and guess what it is working. IDO Facebook page = more traffic to IDO. More traffic to IDO = more IDO Members. More Members = more sponsors to support our favorite website.

I originally got on facebook to have a place to store all my pics where I could share them with family & friends, but the other thing I found was allot of old friends that I reconnected with that I had lost touch with. If you guys don’t want to try facebook that is ok but don’t knock something you have not tried.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Facebook = garbage

You want me to like you?

Al

Don’t knock something until you have tried it, IDO has a facebook page for one reason to drive more traffic to IDO and guess what it is working. IDO Facebook page = more traffic to IDO. More traffic to IDO = more IDO Members. More Members = more sponsors to support our favorite website.

I originally got on facebook to have a place to store all my pics where I could share them with family & friends, but the other thing I found was allot of old friends that I reconnected with that I had lost touch with. If you guys don’t want to try facebook that is ok but don’t knock something you have not tried.

I have looked at it, you like it fine, not for me.

Al

bigpike

Had a facebook account, man that sucked. People coming at me from every direction looking to “friend” me. Well if we weren’t “friends” in High School we certainly are not going to be “friends” now. After looking up the old girl friends and old buddy’s I wondered were they went and what they did I was done. Too many people coming from too many directions wanting to know too much information about my private life. Facebook sucks if works for you great – I am happy for you. But I figured out pretty quick it is not for me – not now not ever

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Bigpike? I’ll be your friend…and it sounds like you need a big HUG.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Real friends show up on moving day.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Real friends show up on moving day.

I am in… where are we moving BK to ?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I didn’t see that one coming.

bigpike

Quote:

Bigpike? I’ll be your friend…and it sounds like you need a big HUG.

BK we can hug it out any time you want

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I use facebook to stay connected to people from high school or college that I don’t see on a regular basis. I don’t trust the ads there.

When you click on some, it asks to pull and use your personal info and I shut that off real quick. I do and have made purchases from advertisers on IDO.

Facebook to me is social media with an emphasis on social. I never use it to buy or research a product.

FWIW.

ET

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I think any business owner who isn’t taking advantage of Facebook is missing out on free marketing. If it’s done well, it’s a great tool. I recently shared some IDO On Ice links and many of my friends from SD sent me messages on how cool they are are. I’ve yet to see them sign up here, but I’m guessing they are lurking at a minimum.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

If you have a business that is not taking advantage to Facebook, you are missing out on free marketing and a huge demographic. I am on it, and while it does not have a huge appeal to me, I know people who cannot go 20 minutes without seeing what is happening.

It has changed the way people communicate (especially the “younger” crowd), and allows you to showcase products and services to people who would probably not see them otherwise. Send out coupons, new product information, completed projects, or any other numbers of things to your customers. The only downfall is you need to maintain the information and add updates.

I don’t use facebook like that. I mainly stalk ex-girlfriends and stuff like that

Forums are where I will go if I have questions about particular products, but forums are entirely dependent on the quality of people who post there. Outside of myself and Mplspug, IDO has the most knowledgeable people for any outdoor related questions.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

I don’t remember what it was about but I liked the commercial (?) that shows a young gal talking about the thousands of friends she has on facebook and can’t understand how her parents get by with so few.

In the background the parents are off enjoying themselves with friends and she’s sitting at a desk by herself while on line talking to her make belive friends.
    Something close to that anyway..

To each their own I guess.
    Al

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Outside of myself and Mplspug, IDO has the most knowledgeable people for any outdoor related questions

True dat.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I hate you all! And I putting that in my Facebook status!

For a business, Facebook is better than emails. Emails are cold. Facebook lets you send out updates that are like being able to bulk text people, without it being annoying. And businesses become more personable, because it is like being engaged in a conversation.

I love it when an X sends a friend request. Those just sit there and collect dust.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.