saving favorites from a pc to a laptop

• drifter295
    Hastings MN

Hi guys, I just purchased a laptop, hooked it up to a wireless router and somehow established a connection to the internet, I’d like to transfer my favorite list from the desktop I’m using to the laptop I’m going to begin using. I’d like to make this an easy move, my technology level isn’t high, what do I need to use to save them and reload them on my laptop, thanks in advance. Pk

the desktop has windows XP and the laptop has windows7 if that makes a difference or helps

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You’ll have to Google it, but if you use Firefox, you can sync bookmarks via the internet. If you use another browser, you are able to import the bookmarks into it.

jennyhanson416
    Polk County, WI

It depends on what version of Internet Explorer you have, but here are the instructions for each… When you save that book-marked file, save it to the desktop, you will have to email it to yourself, or put it on a jump drive to get the file onto your laptop. Then follow the instructions on importing it onto the laptop…. The laptop will most likely have IE 8 or 9 on it, so try the IE 8 instructions for importing… If you don’t know what version of IE you have, click on “File” on an open IE window, if it shows “Import & Export” use the IE 6 instructions for exporting the files, if you don’t have that, or that doesn’t work, use the IE 7 or 8 instructions… Hopefully this all helps:

Internet Explorer 5
    To export the Favorites folder, follow these steps:
    1.On the File menu, click Import and Export, and then click Next.
    2.Click Export Favorites to Netscape, and then click Next.
    3.Click Favorites, and then click Next.
    4.Type the name of the file that you want to export the favorites to. The default file is C:\Bookmark.htm.
    5.Click Next, and then click Finish.
    6.Use the Bookmarks Converter tool to import the Bookmark.htm file into Internet Explorer on Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT 4.0, or Windows 2000.

Internet Explorer 6
    1.Start Internet Explorer
    2.On the File menu, click Import and Export, and then click Next.
    3.Click Export Favorites and then click Next.
    4.Click Favorites and then click Next.
    5.Type the name of the file that you want to export the favorites to. By default, the export file is named Bookmark.htm.
    6.Click Next and then click Finish.
    7.Use the Bookmarks Converter tool to import the Bookmark.htm file into Internet Explorer on Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT 4.0, or Windows 2000.
    For more information about how to use the Bookmarks Converter tool to import the Bookmark.htm file into Internet Explorer, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    152681 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/152681/ ) How to use Netscape Navigator bookmarks in Internet Explorer

Internet Explorer 7
    1.In Internet Explorer, click Add to Favorites, and then click Import and Export.
    2.In the Import/Export Wizard, click Next.
    3.Select Export Favorites, and then click Next.
    4.Click Favorites and then click Next.
    5.Select the Favorites folder that you want to export. If you want to export all Favorites, select the top level Favorites folder. Otherwise, select the individual folder that you want to export.
    6.Click Next.

Note By default, Internet Explorer creates a Bookmark.htm file in your Documents folder. If you want to use a name other than Bookmark.htm, or if you want to store the exported Favorites in a folder other than the Documents folder, specify the new file and folder name.
    7.Click Next.

Note If you already have a file that has the same name, Internet Explorer asks you to replace it. Click Yes to replace the file. Click No to provide a new file name.
    8.Click Finish.

Internet Explorer 8
    1.In Internet Explorer, click Favorites, click the down-arrow next to Add to Favorites, and then click Import and Export.
    2.Click Export to a file, and then click Next.
    3.Click to select the Favorites check box, and then click Next.
    4.Select the Favorites folder that you want to export. If you want to export all Favorites, select the top level Favorites folder. Otherwise, select the individual folder that you want to export.
    5.Click Next.

Note By default, Internet Explorer creates a Bookmark.htm file in your Documents folder. If you want to use a name other than Bookmark.htm, or if you want to store the exported Favorites in a folder other than the Documents folder, specify the new file and folder name.
    6.Click Next.

Note If you already have a file that has the same name, Internet Explorer asks you to replace it. Click Yes to replace the file. Click No to provide a new file name.
    7.Click Export.
    8.Click Finish.
    Back to the top

Import

Import Favorites to Internet Explorer 6 and earlier
    use the Bookmarks Converter tool to import the Bookmark.htm file into Internet Explorer on Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT 4.0, or Windows 2000.

Import Favorites to Internet Explorer 7
    1.In Internet Explorer 7, click Add to Favorites , and then click Import and Export.
    2.In the Import/Export Wizard, click Next.
    3.Select Import Favorites, and then click Next.

Note By default, Internet Explorer creates a Bookmark.htm file in your Documents folder. However, you can import favorites that are saved under another name. To do this, click Browse, select a file or type a location and file name, and then click Next. Or, click Browse, and then click Next to accept the default.
    4.Select the folder where you want to put the imported bookmarks, and then click Next.
    5.Click Finish.

Import Favorites to Internet Explorer 8
    1.In Internet Explorer, click Favorites, click the down-arrow next to Add to Favorites, and then click Import and Export.
    2.Click Import from a file, and then click Next.
    3.Click to select the Favorites check box, and then click Next.
    4.By default, Internet Explorer creates a Bookmark.htm file in your Documents folder. However, you can import favorites that are saved under another name. To do this, click Browse, select a file or type a location and file name, and then click Next.
    5.Select the folder where you want to put the imported bookmarks, and then click Import.
    6.Click Finish.

drifter295
    Hastings MN

Jen, thanks for all the useful information, I will attempt to do this today, Pk

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.