I need a wireless router. Suggestions?

• gonzo50613
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

The time has come in my household for a wireless router. We have a fiber optic internet connection for our desktop PC but would like to be able to access the connection from a laptop and to get Netflix through our Wii.

The FW has sent me online to do research but so far I have squandered all of my time catching up on IDO.

What do I need to look for in a wireless router?

Thanks

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I picked up a Linksys E2000 Advanced Wireless-N Router from Walmart and it’s been everything we’ve ever needed.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

By on price. The limiting factor is probably provider speed.

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

Linksys E1500 N router here. More security options as yo0u move up. But plenty at this level for what you listed for your needs

jd318
    NE Nebraska

We’ve had issues many years ago with Linksys. The Trendnet I have at home now doesn’t like printers. D-Link has been solid.

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

We have a Linksys model WRT102N and have some problems. As stated it don’t like printers and we have to unplug and reset at least once, usually more than once a week for the FW laptop for an internet conection. I would not buy another one.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I my advice is buy a “N” router (it’ll do everything else too) I liked my Linksys router, I have a net gear router that has been very good (though it does seem people don’t like netgear as much) and I had a Zoom Cable modem/ wireless N router that worked really nice, except for online gaming with my xbox, I’m back to my netgear router and a modem.

Really when I’m looking at reccomendations I read the customer reviews on Best buy and Amazon, looking at the most popular and most reviewed ones first, reading all reviews (won’t take long) So people give high reviews and know nothing really, some know a lot, so you can probably tell the difference.

When You got it narrowed down, if you want to be extra sure, google the model number and “review” Probably find a cnet review or something, from someone you know you can trust.

In all reality it’s probably hard to bad one if you get a name brand and spend a fair amount on it ($40-$100).

barc
    SE MN

newegg.com has great prices and lots of reviews on most of the products they offer.
    I have never had a problem buying from them – fast and cheap or free shipping too.
    barc

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I just bought a Asus RT-N10+ EZ N Router for pretty cheap on black friday. Installed dd-wrt on it and haven’t rebooted it yet. Old one had to reboot occassionally. I’ve had good luck with 3rd party software. It seems like the manufacturers often don’t get all the bugs out.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Kinda funny with this topic today. I used our wireless router and linked it to my iPod touch and made this post using my iPod touch. First post evr doing that for me!

sandmannd

Get a wireless N router. Make and model doesn’t matter for home use.

Dakotah

I talked with Verizon and they sent me a free one. Took care of the issue I had with my Linksys that did not support my network extender.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.