Generator for charging batteries on the road.

• iceman35
    upstate New York

What feedback you guys got on charging boat with a small generator?? A few articles have been published talking about it. was thinking of the small yamaha model. Model 1000IS 30#s $800 would be nice for charging boat at the following:
    1. camping out with boat.
    2. docking boat for overnight in the water.
    3. not worrying about parking/plugs at hotels.
    4. charging on the water while fishing.
    5. charging while towing down the road / parked.
    6. used for inflating tires, emergency jumpstart( with inflater/ charger with jump feature)
    7. light source tool possiblity in an emergency.

whatcha think??

stratos_375
    Southern Wisconsin

I have a Honda 1000 for all the reasons you listed and it works great, the best is not having to ever find a place where I can plug the boat in.

kroger3
    blaine mn

I would personally go with a 2000 watt. Not a whole lot more to spend and you can pretty much run annything you want. Window A/C units, charge a boat, run power tools, and make coffee at the same time!

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

For the same price ($50-$100 more) you can find a Honda 2000 watt. Im not sure how quiet the Yammi is but I know the Honda is quiet. Also most every one is using the Hondas and also suppliers are carrying parts for them too. Not that they need much Maintaince but parts availability is a big part of why I buy the things I buy.

Mike S

I have used both without any issues. I have information comparing the 2 brands but can’t figure out how to post it. If interested send email and I will forward it to you.

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

I have the yammi 2000 watt and it works great. I lease it out to a goose guide in the fall where it gets the crap beat out of it and I use it for ice fishing, camping, and all of the things you mention. Still works like a champ going on 6 years.

Hondas are good too and comparing side by side, pretty close to the same sound levels.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Keep in mind, there’s a limiting factor beyond the generator: The output of your battery charger.

If you’ve got an 8-10 amp on-board charger, you’re going to have to run that generator for about 6-8 hours if you run a 120 AHR battery (or batteries) down to nearly dead in order to charge the batteries.

I don’t care how quiet the generator is, running it outside a motel or hotel or in a campground all night isn’t going to win you any friends. Also, there’s the possibility of theft, so you’ll need to lock it up.

BTW, Don’t even think of chaining your generator to the boat trailer or to the back bumper of your truck as a way to prevent theft. I’ve seen this go very, very wrong for one Honda generator. Sadly, as you might expect, driving away with a Honda generator dragging behind your RV is going to be tough on equipment.

Obviously, if you have a higher amp output charger, you could cut that down. But high charge rates have possible implications for the service life of the battery. Also, most likely you’re going to have to buy and carry a stand-alone charger. I’ve never seen a 30 or more AHR on-board, maybe they exist, but I’m guessing that size and cost would then bring other issues into play.

Would it be more feasable to wire an A/B/Both switch in to your boat so that you can switch over and charge the deep cycle battery from the outboard alternator when running?

This has a handy side benefit of being able to use your deep cycle battery as a starting battery in case the starting battery goes dead.

Grouse

iceman35
    upstate New York

Thanks for the info. will look at honda too.
    Grouse thanks for the tips. with work taking up my weekends, this whole charging deal isn’t needed much. BUT, when needed, would be very handy. As my batteries never run down dead. just would need a shot to get me through sunday. After a long day fishing, the last thing I wanna worry about is backing up, running wire, plugging in etc. my usual worry is beer and beef. I’ve also had way too many problems charging at hotels over the years.
    A friend spent a week with Dave Wolack this fall on Champlain and he swears by the Yamaha 1000IS. He also stated he paid full price for it.
    Grouse, I looked at the alternator systems, I don’t think the big motor runs enough to charge both the batteries. with HDS livewell power trim power pole etc. throw in a high tech electronic injected outboard… your crankin battery has a hard enough time staying up… A 5 minute ride to the next spot would be useless…
    Grouse, I do like the looks of the system that charges from your truck down the road… that has possibilities.
    Thanks for all the info, you guys all gave me exactly what I was looking for.

jonboy
    Wausau, WI

Go Honda or Go Home…Enough said!

bullcans
    Northfield MN

I wanted to revive this discussion and get some input…

I’m not so interested in the brand of generator as I am in seeing if this would work. Safely…

I have a Predator 2000 generator that I would have in the back of my pickup, ( Tonneau cover rolled back), with an extension cord ran to the boat/ bank charger.

Will this work and is it safe? I would strap down the generator of course in the pickup box while in transit…

Thoughts/Suggestions?
    Thanks

Remote63

Have seen it done a number of times. Firstly, you’ll need to consider amperage requirement based on your needs. Without air conditioning, a 2 to 3 KW generator might be all you need. Would just get the appropriate adapter for the shore power cord. You will probably need to switch some loads on and off. The water heater, microwave and battery charger would likely overload the system if they were on at the same time.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I wanted to revive this discussion and get some input…

I’m not so interested in the brand of generator as I am in seeing if this would work. Safely…

I have a Predator 2000 generator that I would have in the back of my pickup, ( Tonneau cover rolled back), with an extension cord ran to the boat/ bank charger.

Will this work and is it safe? I would strap down the generator of course in the pickup box while in transit…

Thoughts/Suggestions?
    Thanks

I run mine in a crate in my boat as I travel when needed. In the box would work as well if you had a little air flow. Just make sure your cord is secure so it doesn’t slip and feed out on to the road during travel. And remember that genset in a closed area will make everything stink like exhaust

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Thanks for the responses law and Bearcat. I figured it would work and be fine. I don’t run a water heater, a/c, or microwave in my boat. Just wanted to plug in the gas powered generator to my NOCO 3 bank charger and let her run while I drive to have charging batteries “on the go” so to speak. I have a snap down cover for my boat so i wasn’t going to have it running under the cover. (Exhaust reasons) That’s why I want to run it from the back of my pickup with the tonneau cover rolled back so it gets plenty of air flow. Just wanting to make sure I didn’t forget or realize a potential problem before i did this.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thanks for the responses law and Bearcat. I figured it would work and be fine. I don’t run a water heater, a/c, or microwave in my boat. Just wanted to plug in the gas powered generator to my NOCO 3 bank charger and let her run while I drive to have charging batteries “on the go so” to speak. I have a snap down cover for my boat so i wasn’t going to have it running under the cover. (Exhaust reasons) That’s why I want to run it from the back of my pickup with the tonneau cover rolled back so it gets plenty of air flow. Just wanting to make sure I didn’t forget or realize a potential problem before i did this.

Should work just fine, just make sure the cord has enough slack for turns and is secure so it can’t slip.

walleyesforme

X2 on the theft issue. A couple weekends ago we were staying in Duluth when we were fishing Superior. Came out in the morning and the generator was gone. Just glad they didn’t take anything out of the boat.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Never thought of doing this, but I wonder if the AC outlet on trucks that are equipped is enough to power an average onboard charger?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

X2 on the theft issue. A couple weekends ago we were staying in Duluth when we were fishing Superior. Came out in the morning and the generator was gone. Just glad they didn’t take anything out of the boat.

That sucks. But bullcans is talking about doing it while traveling down the road. And I don’t think any fast and the furious high speed robberies will happen to hom. The rest of the replies are from 2011 so I didn’t read them, I figured they figured it out by now

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Never thought of doing this, but I wonder if the AC outlet on trucks that are equipped is enough to power an average onboard charger?

Did a little research and it wouldn’t work for an average charger, but maybe for a lower amperage “trickle” charger.

Reef W

On the RAM I looked up the outlet was rated for 400W. A 30A charger would be right on the line there depending on the efficiency but smaller ones should work. Not sure if other vehicles put heavier duty outlets in our not.

hdog3385

No way are you running 30A off that. My ram has the outlets and yes it’s 400W but at 115 volts. simple method to figure this out is take 400/115=3.47 amps. Trickle charger or maybe an aerator on your minnows is about all it’s good for.

hdog3385

I have used it to charge my Milwaukee batteries

Reef W

No way are you running 30A off that. My ram has the outlets and yes it’s 400W but at 115 volts. simple method to figure this out is take 400/115=3.47 amps. Trickle charger or maybe an aerator on your minnows is about all it’s good for.

I think you’re forgetting the amperage rating of the charger is at 12v though.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Not sure of the amperage on the neighbors Ram, but it will power the 6amp single bank charger on his starting battery but not the 10amp (5+5) 2 bank charger on his trolling motor batteries.

hdog3385

The output of the charger is 12V AC but the inlet is DC. The Rams outlet is 115 DC. It is not possible at 400 watts for that outlet to put out more than 3.47 amps.

The reason you can run a single bank on the starting battery is because it’s not drawn down far enough that the charger ever needs 6 amps. Assuming it’s an automatic charger unless the battery gets below half it never will produce 6 amps. Google is your friend here guys.

Reef W

Google is your friend here guys.

lol

Question for you, how many amps are the outlets that you plug charger into in your garage or wherever? Is it a 30a?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.