What kind of boots for Upland Bird Hunting?

• Workboot
    Coon Rapids, MN

I was talking to some guys at work about upland bird hunting and asked them “What are you looking for in a hunting boot for birds?” They said, “Warmth, waterproof, good fit, traction and comfort (not necessarily in that order) Any suggestions? Shoot us your ideas.
    Wil Heiser

arklite881south

Hi Will,

I used to do a lot of upland bird hunting. Now my bird hunting is limited to mostly grouse here in the “northwoods”. IMHO a good pair of bird hunting boots are Light first and foremost, Waterproof and very comfortable. Guys put MILES on upland boots. Frankly if they are simply water resistant to hold down the weight of the boots I’d be ok with it. I also think the toe section of these boots needs some sort of hard shell or coating on them as 99% of my boots would wear down there. I’ve always had to put on a after market coating on them to keep from burning right through the toe section. Just my 2……3 cents

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Pretty much on the button there. For me when i’m working i want:
    1. water resistance
    2. weight
    3. comfort
    4. traction

For me, i like well oiled leather. If i find the upper i want, i’ll often have the sole removed and replaced with a more functional sole. Usually, i’ll go thru a set of soles in one season.

Workboot
    Coon Rapids, MN

Thanks! Do you have rubber boots or leather?

Workboot
    Coon Rapids, MN

Great, thanks! Wow, that’s amazing about the sole wearing out. Are you refering to the outer sole or the insert?

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

In an upland boot I need them to be comfortable and waterproof. I thought I had found that boot in the old Danner Pronghorns but unfortunately the toe and seems wore out after 2 seasons. I cleaned and oiled them religously too. My current pair of Danners does have a toe guard that works very well but now they pinch and bind up in the ankle. I thought it would go away after a season but no such luck. I personally prefer an uninsulated boot because I hunt hard and never have a problem getting cold. If we do a drive, I’m the guy they send into the thickest cover. I need it to be waterproof up to atleast 6 inches because those big roosters seem to sneek out into the cattails when they get pressured. I’m still searching for the perfect boot if you have any suggestions.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Comfort.
    Light weight.
    Water Proof.
    Great traction.
    Leather with some sort of protection for the toe area.
    Zero or little insulation.

In that order for me

luv2rapala

DRY DRY DRY DRY did I say dry yet- lightweight but heavy enough to support the sole and ankle without caving in on frozen plowed fields or clumped up cattail mounds.
    oh yea and dry-
    For bird hunting warmth is not such a big deal – when i am walking the furnace is stoked up so no trouble keeping toes warm but if they get wet – big trouble

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

If we do a drive, I’m the guy they send into the thickest cover.

You should learn how to shoot, thery might let you post then

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

For many years while living in Illinois I hunted pheasant like a maniac in Western Il and Eastern Iowa…The original Red Wing Irish Setters (from the 1950s up) lasted me, my dad and GranPa over 20 years a pair. The uppers NEVER wore out but after 3-4 sets of new soles…they couldn’t put on anymore…
    Another great boot was the old green Browning Kangaroo leather…waterproof upland hunters… ultra light, waterproof and tough!.

I have been looking at your boots for a lightweight, waterproof, 600 thinsulate 6″ boot for Fall fishing and early bow season…

Workboot
    Coon Rapids, MN

Hey Tom,
    We’re working on adding more boots to our Website. You can take a look on http://www.lacrossefootwear.com and if you see a boot there you like, just let us know and we can get it for you.
    And then we can add it to our site. Thanks!

timmy

I want what has already been posted…..waterproof, lightweight, dry…..

But I will add to that –

I want them affordable – I would consider 250 to be the top end for price.

And I want them MADE IN USA.

I have been shopping hard for a new pair of boots, as my all-leather Danner pronghorns – (made in china – $170) are starting to give up the ghost after 8 yrs. I am having a hard time finding a good pair of MADE IN USA boots for anywhere near an affordable price…..

T

hawkeye27

I where the LaCrosse alpha boots uninsulated and love them! Depending on where you hunt will really decide what king of boot you are looking for! If you are hunt land that has some wet marshy stuff on it then I would definitely get a rubber knee boot that is comfortable to walk in! I walk in the lacrosse boots for 4 days straight from sun up till sun down! I am able to walk in places other guys weren’t able to until they got themselves a pair. You wouldn’t believe how many birds we get out of stand water! (1 foot deep or so) Love em!! But if you are walking a lot of land that has steep hills and ravines then you definitely wont want these, to do that the fact that there are boots out there with way better ankle support!!

hawkeye27

Me personally I wouldn’t get insulated!! Your feet will sweat guaranteed and your feet will freeze… Get a uninsulated pair and put some good socks on! NO COTTON!!! Makes a huge difference.. The rubber boots don’t breathe at all!!! Just my two cents!!! They are also great for deer hunting since they are scentless

arklite881south

Funny how the true upland hunters are definately pinpointing a few things. Overall “Warmth” is not a top priority as guys are on the move chasing birds or chasing their dog. Lightweight is key for many. It is crazy how just a little extra weight on your feet can really drag you down by the end of the day. Toe protection in my mind is critical. Often times in one outing with a simple leather toe in dry conditions you can tear up a boot bad. Although I like Leather they may add some weight if not combined with a different uppper.

Lastly I have a older pair of upland “Cabelas” brand boots. VERY light, Med-comfort, but seemingly have a plastic outer sole. When those boots hit any ice or frost early in the morning they are unbelievably slippery. I think I’d get better traction in my bowling shoes!!

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Quote:

Toe protection in my mind is critical.

I second that!! Switch grass will tear up a toe quicker than anything. Waterproof and lightweight are also a must have. I never wear anything more than a 400gr thinsulate for bird hunting.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

I’ve been using russell and red wing uppers. The Russells have their third soles on them and the RWs are on their fourth. Most of the miles were put on in the 80s. Nothing like grease every other nite…

Workboot
    Coon Rapids, MN

Hey Bigfife,my wife was answering last nite, (great job hon).I had a thought. Neoprene is a insulator , so i thought maybe the LaCrosse Alpha Lite might be a choice. Comes in three thicknesses of neoprene for added warmth. No added insulation. Just a thought. Wil

Workboot
    Coon Rapids, MN

Hey Chris. Very true. We were talking on this post about the Alpha Lite. These and a few others have an added toe cover . Covers the bottom of boot and goes up the front. Great traction to.Thanks for the input, Wil

klang

Have you looked at Mucks? They have insulated and non-insulated. Super light and waterproof.

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

The Russell south 40 bird shooters are awesome boots. Expensive, but I don’t think you’ll find a better boot for upland bird hunting.

huskerdu

Pretty much on the button there. For me when i’m working i want:1. water resistance2. weight3. comfort4. traction

For me, i like well oiled leather. If i find the upper i want, i’ll often have the sole removed and replaced with a more functional sole. Usually, i’ll go thru a set of soles in one season.

Interesting about wearing soles out, I have danners that are 20 years old. I upland hunt 30+ days a year in ND have never wore soles out.
    Currently wearing Kenatrec unisulated take about 30 miles before broken in. Gators if the grass is wet or frosty.
    I would never were rubber boots upland hunting.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Curious why we’re resurrecting a post from 2011…

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Have danner pronhorns no issues going 8 years. other ones I have are the danner alaskans they are all leather water proof good soles. they might be called elk hunters not alaskan bought ten years ago still look new.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Curious why we’re resurrecting a post from 2011…

After 6 years they may need new boots, or at least new soles!!! jester

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I have Danner Pronghorns and they have kind of been good boots… I believe there are American made and Chinese made Pronghorns and the Americans last longer and also cost a lot more?

I have gone through 3 pairs of pronghorns in the last 3 years, but they’ve all been replaced under warranty no questions asked. They have all just simply ripped after less than one fall of pheasant hunting. So great boot until it rips, but absolutely fantastic customer service to replace them.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

bump? but not sure why…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Maybe because Klang’s birthday is listed as 2013-05-18??

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.