Winterize Again?

• joe-bauman
    Rochester, MN

My boat has been in my garage all summer and not been used. I have a 200HP Optimax and 15 HP 4 stroke kicker motor. Do I need to winterize or do anything to these motors to store for the winter again? Any tips appreciated.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Stabil or sea-foam in the gas

depending how much gas you have in the tank (half tank or more)pump it out and use it in the snow blower..

batteries and stuff you most likely already know

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

If you didn’t start them up over the summer, even to see if they’d fire, no need to re-fog. Otherwise, re-fog. Worth every penny.

That’s what i make most of my money on, rebuilding poor winterizing…

seeds
    SE WI

In would not use the gas in the tank.If it didn’t smell too stale once pumped out,I might use it diluted in my truck…Or,I go thru 3 or 4 gallons of “wash gas” every year,I could give away twice that to someone I know for that same purpose.

I recently saw a guy at a boat launch (about September 1st) trying to start his 90 horse. I could smell bad gas before I even walked onto the pier….He said it was the first time starting the motor this year but he was confident he’d get’er going.

It did choke into a start – then stalled,then started,then coughed out… and I noticed he put the boat back on the trailer without ever really getting it running. It took maybe 45 minutes to convince him of what I suspected just by smelling old,old gas.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

If you didn’t start them up over the summer, even to see if they’d fire, no need to re-fog. Otherwise, re-fog. Worth every penny.

That’s what i make most of my money on, rebuilding poor winterizing…

Mercury does not want the Optimax fogged.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.