May flies

• clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

Biggest swarm of May flies I hhave everseen hoovering over Lake Isabel right now. OMG Never seen that before!!!!

schreinersshop
    Alma Wi

I remember when they used snow plows to get the may flies off the winona bridge. have only seen a few in Alma so far this year

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

Crossed the Mississippi on the Wakota bridge this morning. My truck was pelted with may flies. Never had that happen before.

cshurtleff
    Northeast Iowa

How are the May Flies around Lake City and Redwing areas?

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I remember when I lived in LaCrosse they scraped and sanded the bridge approaches because there was so many they became slick.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

First May Fly hatch in La Crosse last night also.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

As I was leaving my camper this morning, I looked up towards the dam. I thought it was odd there was a cloud hanging so low in the trees above the water.

Because is was a “darker than normal” cloud I wondered if is was diesil exhaust from a tow that just went by…now I’m thinking it was May Flies.

Guess I won’t know for sure until tonight.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

In the 1950s I was at a night baseball game in Winona that was called because of May flies. When some one hit the ball it would get so greasy the outfielder could not keep the ball in his mitt. I was on the river yesterday and there spurts of small clouds of them.

yahbuddy
    Holmen, WI

On the Mayflies subject. Does anyone have very good luck fishing during or shortly after a Mayfly hatch? In the past I have had good luck at the begining of a hatch but pretty tough after.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

There’s hope for our hex mayfly hatch yet!!! Woohoo!!! Ours hasn’t come off and YES, I want to fish it!!!

Mark

millerman
    Red Wing, MN

Make sure you run upstream with your mouth open!

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

Quote:

Biggest swarm of May flies I hhave everseen hoovering over Lake Isabel right now. OMG Never seen that before!!!!

Just in time for Rivertown Days.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.