Canada Fishing Advise

• jld235
    Eau Claire

Hi IDO’ers. A bunch of us guys are heading up to Ontario (Northern Light/Whitefish Lake) the last week of June. It will be our first trip north of the boarder. I’m looking for any and all advise from some of you that have made the trek before. For example…I’ve been told to bring your own Ketchup (apparently Canadian ketchup is “runny”), mapping, alcohol restrictions, bait restrictions (some say that their leeches are poor quality?).

Basically anything that you’ve learned to make your trip more enjoyable and your fishing more productive.

Thanks everyone.

JD

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Drive in or fly in? Where are you going to cross.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

Eat all the fish you can when you’re there

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

straighten out any passport concerns (DWI, etc) BEFORE you go. We lost one guy at International Falls one year…

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Quote:

Eat all the fish you can when you’re there

. Deep fried, grilled by wrapping fillets with bacon and green and red sweet pepper, cold on rye for breakfast, and tacos.

asch
    Eastern Iowa

Take night crawlers, they have to be in buss bedding no dirt. We put a flat in a cooler with a gallon milk jug of ice. They will last all week if you take care of them. If you are packing food crack a dozen eggs in a plastic peanut butter jar. They will dump out one at a time.

moler02
    Iowa, Knoxville

The egg thing works great, saves a bunch of room.

jld235
    Eau Claire

Eggs in a peanut butter jar?!? Great tip. Thanks to everyone else as well. We are driving up (6hr drive). Packing room is not a issue. And I’m not sure where we are crossing over…I’m following the lead car up.

Keep them coming guys. I love the advise. It’s going to be a great trip!!

JD

DrewH
    s/w WI.

If you cross over to St Francis there is a great bait shop there. If are going to use minnows, take in consideration the water temp of the lake. Our group always loose a lot due to warm water. The grocery store will fill your order in advance and have it waiting for you. We pretty much use a jig and a minnow fom 1/8 to 1/2.

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

You will be crossing at Pigeon River. It is about an hour from there to Whitefish. It has been 7-8 years since we went to Whitefish, but prior to that we went 6 or 7 in a row. Some years twice. After the 1st year we never bought live bait. The lake is for the most part shallow and weedy. 6-7 feet. We would motor out and drift fish with 1/8 oz. jigs and twister tails. An orange head and a white body was always solid for me. Most days just throw it out and use a steady retrieve. Other days they want it to be pumped along on the retrieve. If you let it sink the weeds will be unbearable. My cousin and her husband still go up. He uses floating raps quite a bit. Sometimes well after dark. It is a fun lake and usually pretty easy to fish.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Quote:

straighten out any passport concerns (DWI, etc) BEFORE you go. We lost one guy at International Falls one year…

x100 Anything more than a speeding ticket and plan on not going.. I’d make sure ALL your guys know this as well.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

If you have a DWI in the past 5 years don’t plan on going other than that bring a couple hundred bucks more just incase they need some processing fees if they stop to check you. For every 1 person turned away there was 100 that weren’t even checked. i think what all the doom and gloom warnings are about is that there are no “clear cut” rules. they sort of make them up as they go along. but i go with if you have had a DWI over 5 years ago and seriously NO other charges since or before you will get in.

jetro
    Mayer, MN

Bringing your own boats or renting??

Pack for ultra cold to ultra hot wet & dry and everything in between. The sun has insane power so pack the sunblock. Band Aid brand anti itch gel for the mosquito’s and no see ums. Make sure you have backup’s for all important equipment. Bring a good camera.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Allow plenty of time at the border. Remove your sunglasses when you pull up. Truthfully answer their questions. If you have guys who just have to bring pot everywhere make sure they ride in the other truck.

Remember they have a job to do. Make it easy for them and they will make your trip much more enjoyable. Be a prick and you might as well stay home.

I always bring a extra rod & reel just in case. Remember you can always take clothes off if you are hot. Being cold and wet in Canada has ruined more trips then bad fishing.

Most importantly………..have fun, leave your job and worries at the border.

jld235
    Eau Claire

All the legal issues should not be a problem (at least not for me). I’m squeeky clean (just never got caught ).

What about leeches? I’ve heard leeches up in canada are poor quality and that I should try to bring my own…but the regs say you can NOT bring leeches across the boarder. Any comments?

How about mapping? I run a Humminbird and was thinking about trying to find someone to borrow me their Navionics chip…is it worth it up there, or is it not worth it? I know Northern Light is on the Navionics chip but don’t know if the detail is worth it.

As always, thanks guys.

JD

jld235
    Eau Claire

Anybody have a Navionics Canada chip that they are looking to sell?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.