But it’s not my birthday

• drifter295
    Hastings MN

My job enables me to socialize and get to know people on a daily basis, I have a couple of senior care centers where I get to spend a few minutes a day talking to anyone that’s in the general area while I deliver. I’ve gotten to know a gentleman there on nothing more than a friendly basis but we talk and laugh for a few minutes each day, and I’ve offered to take him fishing anytime he feels up to it.

He never accepts but always thanks me for asking and says he has stories and can teach me a thing or 2 if I ever have time to listen. Tonight I took the time to visist him after work, he was right…he has stories….he made me laugh, think about things I’ll never see or get to do….showed me pictures of some of his many fine catches…and we just talked about 2 hours. His eyes and hands don’t work as good as they used to so I wasn’t able to see how he tied his knots or how he made do with what he had compared to today’s technology but it was incredible to see him smile and his face light up as he spoke about growing up on the river.

Ok to make a long story short, he was tired so I was getting ready to leave and he says to me …..hey kid btw….I’m 51….take this box with you, I told him I don’t need anything but thanks…..so he says happy birthday take the box, told him my birthday isn’t until Oct…he smiles and said..I might be dead by then take the damn box…..So I did, I opened it when I got home and it has Rapalas in it, old raps they look like 11’s and 13’s but all are in cardboard boxes, never used, probably never even opened until tonight, the glue on the boxes is gone so they slide right open man these things are in perfect condition 42 total.

It would be nice to keep them, but I can’t they are probably worth a small fortune, I can’t sell them and I know I’ll never have the heart to use them. I know he has no family around here but will I break his heart if I give them back? It’s a great gesture on his part to give them to me I just don’t feel worthy of such a gift, what would you do?

dougie
    Sobieski,Wi

Pass them down to another kid someday.
    Great job of making one man very happy.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Remember how this made you feel…and someday…

pay it forward.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

pay it forward.

Very well said

I have a ton of traps that came to me from an Uncle that has passed. I sold many of them and gave the money to his wife. But I have kept about 250 of them that I have been giving to kids that I have met that have passed their trapping education class. A dozen here and there and it gives a great head start to a kid that is trying to get started. Keep in mind that it gave him pleasure in seeing you have them. I’m sure you will meet someone that you feel is deserving.

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

pay it forward.

Couldn’t have said it any better Brian! That is something I consciously try to do, and always will. I remember how great it felt when someone has helped me with hunting and fishing, whether a hand me down of gear, or just a special tactic that works for them. I just try to do the same for others.

dan stien
    Waunakee, Wisconsin

Drifter I say keep them, you brought the man wonderful joy. He and wanted to repay to you what he felt inside. People need to take more time to listen to our elders. There stories are amazing ,wonderful and full of knowledge. I personlly like talking to them and listening to their stories. Just someday when the time is right you may be in the same position to pass them on just with an added wonderful story to go with them. Good luck and enjoy. I also applaud you for taking the time.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

51 isn’t exactly ancient

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

51 isn’t exactly ancient

THANK YOU!!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Quote:

51 isn’t exactly ancient

THANK YOU!!

X2

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Quote:

pay it forward.

Very well said

I agree
    It made him happy to give them to you, like Brian said pay it forward someday.

sandmannd

You gave him something nothing else could, you gave him companionship. Don’t give them back, he wants you to have them. Some day, you will find the right person to pass them to. Something like that needs to be treasured for what it is.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Just make sure you make it back to tell him how you slaughtered the fish with them, whether you use them or not.

It was very nice of you to go listen to him on your time and make his day.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

What Pug said!

51 huh?

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Yeah, hope I dont hit that senior center much before 55. I don’t want to give all my raps away yet!

jbb
    Minneapolis area

Thenyou know the feeling my two pugs (walleye pointers) have had. We’ve visted nursing homes twice a month through the winter months & have enjoyed every minute. Would still be doing it but my legs gave out before the pugs.

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

51 isn’t exactly ancient

THANK YOU!!

X2

not ancient by any means, but definitely reaching for the door bell on the front step to your new “Home”….

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Make a nice wall mount display case for them. Then show him how it turned out. Individual “shelves for each lure. -Mark

drifter295
    Hastings MN

sorry for the confusion, I’m the one who’s 51…………Mr. V is 97 he’s a great guy

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I’m the one who’s 51…

a mistake any youngster could make.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Quote:

Make a nice wall mount display case for them. Then show him how it turned out. Individual “shelves for each lure. -Mark

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

nice story drifter.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

That is a cool story Drifter!

I have to agree with BK. Pay it forward. I would not be opposed to taking a couple out and using them. I think it would be really cool to go back and show him some pictures of fish caught on his kindness

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.