What would you do (boat floor replacement)

• spd800
    NW Metro

OK, so I’ve got a 1993 Alumacraft Competitor that needs the floor replaced. After taking the floor section over the gas tank off (because it was easy) I realized the other three sections are all tucked under live wells, storage areas and rod locker. Would it be a problem if I took a skill saw, set to the right depth, and cut around the perimeter of the boat for the remaining sections? If I do it this way I can get by with one 4×8 sheet of plywood. I could still put the gas tank floor vents where they need to be and if there were a problem with the tank I could just take the full sheet of plywood off to access the tank. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Your answer lies in how long you plan to keep the boat. If you are going to hang onto it do the job right. If you are going to get rid of it just throw the plywood right over top.

I would take the whole thing apart and do it right. Or have somebody else do it for you.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

Your answer lies in how long you plan to keep the boat. If you are going to hang onto it do the job right. If you are going to get rid of it just throw the plywood right over top.

I would take the whole thing apart and do it right. Or have somebody else do it for you.

WOW what great advice? I would say if you have the skills to do it do it right. If not maybe you know someone who can help. Don’t do a half-azz job just because you are going to sell the boat.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

Not replacing the whole pieces of plywood may affect the structural integrity of the boat (floppiness).
    Also, I would not even think about using anything but marine plywood with two coats of spar varnish both sides.
    When I did mine, I added an 8 foot rod locker in the floor and tied that to the I beams to increase structural integrity.

HowieT
    Eden Prairie,MN

I would also check into composite flooring. It will last forever.

spd800
    NW Metro

Hey guys thanks for all the replies.

I should have been more clear in my original post. This is more of a temporary fix. Right now time and money come into play in this project. To do it right I would have to completely take the inside of the boat apart to get to the complete flooring and right now is not a good time to deal with that so I’m just looking for something that will get me by for now.

Thanks,

Steve

whiskeyandwater
    ????

I just did this 1 year ago this week.

is it a pain in the arse to do it right YES! can it be done if you have never one it before? Sure can. It took me a solid weekend to get the floor out, and re-carpet it. then another weekend to re-assemble everything else. Then again I wasn’t trying to rush anything either and I had a spot where it could take up space up until opener if it needed to. I would say lift and wiggle it out and you will appreciate it more in the end.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.