tire pressure?

• uncle-glen-1
    LaCrosse, Wi

I run a 16ft. alumacraft navigator, with a 60hp merc. 4 stroke, it sits on a shorelander roller trailer, any idea as to what tire pressure on the trailer should be?

stuart
    Mn.

50 psi I belive.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

What does it recommend on the tires? Just got new ones on my trailer today. They set them at 35#s but think Im going to go 45 or 50. Mine are rated up to 50#s.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Mine are rated on the tire at 40 and I run them at 40.

sandmannd

I believe 35-40lbs is about right for trailer.

“Just remember to keep all your tires inflated properly to save money on gas” – BHO!

Bassn Dan

Quote:

What does it recommend on the tires? Just got new ones on my trailer today. They set them at 35#s but think Im going to go 45 or 50. Mine are rated up to 50#s.

The number on the tire is the MAXIMUM inflation, NOT the recommended inflation. Over-inflating is going to wear your tires faster and the hard tires are going to pound the snot out of your boat and gear.

A good starting point is to inflate the tires to the max, and then let out a bit of air at a time until the bottom of the tire just touches the pavement all the way across the tread. If that seems like a reasonable psi, try it for some short trips to see how it works, and add air if loading up the trailer with extra weight for a trip.

Dan

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

50 psi I belive.

x2 atleast mine say that

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

One website told me I should run at max pressure, 50 PSI.
    When I tried that just about everything in my boat was jostled around something terrible. So I checked the trailer sticker and it said for my tire size what the max load was.
    I set the tire pressure to the max load rating, 35 psi.
    Now my equipment stays inside the boat when I drive.

stuart
    Mn.

BassenDan… I run mine at 50 psi,thats what they had em at when I bought it and 7 yrs later still going with the same tires and the tred is still good.

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

I run mine at 45, new alumacraft classic 165 CS, 50hp Evinrude Etec..I’ll let ya know in about 7-10 years how that works

webstj
    Mazeppa, MN

Just got brand new tires and the tire man was very informational! He said that they generally always set trailer tires to max PSI and they recommend running that way as trailer loads are often loaded to the gills. If you see your tires compressing under a heavy load on bumpy roads than you should definitely run max pressure to save your tires. They get very hot under compression and thats the worst thing for your tires.

He also said, if you know that you are not near your max load that you are better off running a little less PSI as you want to wear tread evenly.

Summarized, if your set at 35psi and see major compression add air. If you are running max psi and your leaf springs are not doing there job, decrease air.

Bassn Dan

Quote:

BassenDan… I run mine at 50 psi,thats what they had em at when I bought it and 7 yrs later still going with the same tires and the tred is still good.

Stick with 50 psi if that’s what is right for your boat and trailer, but a lighter boat on that trailer with 50 psi in the tires would take a beating from tires that are too hard.

My point was that the MAXIMUM RECOMMENDED INFLATION for a tire is NOT the correct psi for every boat/trailer combination. If the total weight of boat/motor/trailer and gear is close to the max load for the tires, yes, you’d better have them inflated to the max rec. amt. If the total weight is substantially less than the max load for your tires, you need to adjust the pressure to compensate.

Dan

Trent W
    Chatfield, MN

I have always been told that trailer tires should be run at or near the max inflation rating of the tire. Trailer tires usually break down on the inside due to heat long before the tire tread wears out. Running at max pressure reduces heat buildup and lengthens the life of the tire.

blufloyd

My trailer was way over sprung for my 12 poly boat at 325 empty and maybe 600 loaded. When I converted it to kayak I took off 2 of the 3 leafs, now rides really great with its 70 lb load. But trailer tires are a strange beast and most complaints about them are from no air in tires. Check them early and often.

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

I have always ran my trailer tires at the max psi rating. My boat trailers always pull better and don’t bounce around. Running them lower puts a lot of pressure on the side walls and thats usually what causes excess heat and blowouts. No different then a car tire, you run what the tire says on it.

Bassn Dan

Quote:

I have always ran my trailer tires at the max psi rating. My boat trailers always pull better and don’t bounce around. Running them lower puts a lot of pressure on the side walls and thats usually what causes excess heat and blowouts. No different then a car tire, you run what the tire says on it.

With large, heavy boats (like the boat in your avatar) the max pressure IS correct, and is generally the recommended pressure by the manufacturer on matching boat and trailer combos (Ranger, Skeeter, etc.) Dealer “matched” independently made trailers for smaller boats are an ENTIRELY different thing.

As to car tire pressures, the car manufacturers rec psi is usually WAY less than the max tire psi.

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Quote:

Quote:

With large, heavy boats (like the boat in your avatar) the max pressure IS correct, and is generally the recommended pressure by the manufacturer on matching boat and trailer combos (Ranger, Skeeter, etc.) Dealer “matched” independently made trailers for smaller boats are an ENTIRELY different thing.

As to car tire pressures, the car manufacturers rec psi is usually WAY less than the max tire psi.

I guess it could be different with dealer matched trailers but even when I had my crestliner 16′ tiller I ran at max psi.

My last 4 trucks when the stock tires were on them the tire pressure on the door also matched the tires psi rating. Once again could be different on different vehicles.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

X2

I think some are confusing best ride with best tire life, both the Michelin tire rep that came to where I work and gave a speech on tires and the tire guy I go to recommend max or close to max pressures for tire life.

Lower air pressures flex the tire sidewalls and generate heat, they do give a better ride but at the expense of tire life.

Todays tire do not bow out and cause poor tread wear from max inflation like the older ones did, least that’s what I’m told.

I run mind at max or very close to max and check often, underinflation kills tire life.

Al

stuart
    Mn.

Consensus is to run them at max rated PSI for tire life.
    Hope this helps you uncle glen.

uncle-glen-1
    LaCrosse, Wi

looks like I should run them at Max. or close to it, Thanks Guys! your still the best!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.