Looking for canoe trip ideas

• BomberA

I’ve gone through Jack’s in Trego a few times and always had a good time on the Namekogan up there.

I am looking for any other good full service places for just a single day trip that are 3-5 hours. Willing to drive a few hours from Hudson. Fishing is not necessary, but a smallmouth population is a plus.

Are there any good rental places on the upper St Croix?

Thanks

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I think there is a place in Danbury WI on the yellow river that will do pickups and what not. I don’t recommend going above the CCC bridge on the St Croix trail. The stretch from County T to the CC bridge has some nasty rapids and some very shallow spots that are hard to get through. It is a nice stretch from the CCC bridge to 35.

BomberA

Fiance and I (so solo when it comes to actually paddling )

Just going for a daytrip, no overnight needed

Willing to drive 2-3 hours from Hudson

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Brule river

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Quote:

Brule river

X2! Outfitter in Brule. Do 3 day run to the Lake from Stone’s Bridge, great time.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

N Fork Flambeau River. 9 miles east of Fifield on Hwy 70. 170 miles from Hudson. some of the best smallie fishing you will ever enjoy. heading up there tomorrow. leaving sunday.
    we will easily catch 20 to 30 smallmouth a day. good muskie river too.

BomberA

Quote:

N Fork Flambeau River. 9 miles east of Fifield on Hwy 70. 170 miles from Hudson. some of the best smallie fishing you will ever enjoy. heading up there tomorrow. leaving sunday.
    we will easily catch 20 to 30 smallmouth a day. good muskie river too.

Thanks Steve…

I decided on the St Croix up by Danbury for this Friday. But, I will have to check that out.

Do you know of any canoe rentals/shuttles up there, or do you just bring your own and do it all yourself?

z-man
    Dousman, WI

SteveO…so you take your own canoe and couple vehicles, or rent and get picked up? Looking for a two or three day outing with my 14 yr. old; have my own canoe, but not a second driver to do the 2-vehicle thing.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

We rent canoes from 9 Mile Tavern. They shuttle us. They are reasonably priced. Water was WAY up this year. Fishing was sporadic but bit horrible.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Thanks for the info SteveO. too bad conditions weren’t better, though. will file the info and may look into it in August. sounds like fun, especially when the water levels and smallies cooperate.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

i meant to say “not horrible”
    I’m heading back up there the weekend of 8/21. hopefully it will be better. we caught some nice fish but I have been spoiled from past trips. heck head up there that weekend and I could guide you. it’s just me and a buddy going so far. i’m not a guide but I fished that river for the last 13 straight years.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Thanks for the offer of hooking up , but my window is limited to the beginnining of August. don’t know what you got up there for rain yesterday, but we got a ton, and it’ll be a while till things settle down in SE WI.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Z-man:

Not much for rain, though we have got our water table back up some (most all area lakes are full or higher, even the flowages are close), seepage lakes are still 4-7′ down. While you guys were measuring water totals 2″ west of Wausau, 4″ just east of Madison, 7″ milwaukee, my rain gauge held no water from yesterday until last night (didn’t get the chance to check) and maybe a tenth from the day before. Grass is growing better this time of year for the first time in who knows how long… I go over the Tomahawk River (drains to WI R.) on my way to bait bear every time and so far it shows no sign of going down.

Mark

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.