WI Opener 2004

• coot
    North Central Wisconsin

I know it’s approx. 4 months away and as much as I am enjoying the ice the ice this year, I can’t help but start thinking ahead to the Opener! Where will everyone be spending the 2004 Opener? I will stick close to home and probably hit Tainter in the morning and then head for Menomin in the afternoon. Tainter is usually pretty kind to me earlier in the season and I just can’t resist hitting Menomin for a while. What is everybody elses tentative plans at this time?

Don Hanson

With everyone hitting inland lakes, I like heading to the big river.

kizew
    Dallas, WI

Menomin for me!! First club tournament of the year for me there on May 8th and would like to start the year with a good points showing so I will be pre-fishing like a mad dog!!

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

More than likely Lake Wapposgasset. Same thing for me, have a tourney on the 8th there.
    I also agree, that as much as I’m enjoying the ice this year, it sure would be nice to see some open water.
    Steve

modauger
    West Central Wisconsin

I am heading to the Trimbelle River. Nothing to me beats a secluded and peaceful stretch of a trout stream.

Until then, I’m going to stay on the hard water.

JoJo
    Inactive
    Eden Prairie

Toss up between Wapposgasset and bone.

We have a Bass T in the middle of May on Bone, so pre-fishing would help. But, I still like Wappo.

Anyone know if the restaurant on Wappo has re-opened or if they’re going to open this spring?

Jo

joeyno5
    Rochester MN.

I will be on the move on opener just because I like to see what is going on in the area. I will start my day at big chetek in birchwood, pull up around noon then hit the cedar river til 3 then hit lake montanis in Rice Lake. Usually have a good weekend for the eyes on opener. Then then Sunday I will hit what ever treated me the best. The following weekend is MN. opener , I always fish winnie for this one . Any of you wisconsinites fish MN opener? Where do you go?

Don Hanson

If it does not interfere with my tournament schedule I either fish Ida or Osakis on the MN. opener.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

I sure like sleeping in and just taking a short drive down to the Chippewa River to try a little bank fishing. Its a lot less hectec than the lakes and its only 10 mintutes away. Steve

Bird
    River Falls, WI

Will usually hit Gull or Mille Lacs on MN opener.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Joeyno5,

You’ve got 2 weeks in WI before MN opener this year. MN doesn’t open until the 15th.

Does anyone know if the Croix opens a week early this year? I love the years that this happens! Croix opener, WI inland opener, then MN opener………bam, Bam, BAM!!!

Mo-fish……….if you hit Gull on the opener, I’ll be needing some details. I’m going up on Wed., the 19th and fishing out of the Gull Lake Resort through Sunday, the 23rd. Do you ever explore the more southern parts of the lake? Send me pm if you don’t like to post out here………….I’d love to trade some spots with ya!

I think I’ll have some time on Long over the opener and maybe the Chippewa for a little bit………..I haven’t locked in any plans. I’ll have my boys so I’ll have to be mindful of “how long and how bored”…………the only kids I know that get tired of catching fish! Anyway, I’ve got a lot of choices near the family cabin so I’m sure I’ll be on water somewhere in that Island Lake area. Fireside, Sand, Chain, Potato, Amacoy…………..it’s a coin toss sometimes!

Wappo is a great choice and I’d be on it if I were to do an all day affair on my own. I’ve had some GREAT days on that water!!!

Bird
    River Falls, WI

Hey Stillakid2,
    Sounds like we do a carbon copy of fishing trips for May! I sent you a PM, let me know if you get it? I forgot to tell you that we have explored the area south of the Army Corp’s boat landing and have caught a few eyes but not anything worth sending to you. Spend most of my time on the main lake.

bigpike

If I have off that weekend, I’ll fish the Mighty Mississippi. I prefer the tranquility of the backwaters over the crazy’s of “party weekend” in northern Wisconsin. I have had some of my best openers on the river in the past featuring slab crappies and large bucketmouths. Cant wait……

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

Hey Stillakid2,
    Sounds like we do a carbon copy of fishing trips for May! I sent you a PM, let me know if you get it? I forgot to tell you that we have explored the area south of the Army Corp’s boat landing and have caught a few eyes but not anything worth sending to you. Spend most of my time on the main lake.

I didn’t get your pm Mo. I send you one for you to reply back on.

Bird
    River Falls, WI

Hey Kid,
    Sent you another PM, hopefully you get this one. Hopefully talk with you later….Opener will be here soon!

Pax
    Woodville, WI

We’ll probably hit Horseshoe just NW of Turtle Lake a few miles. Getting psyched already!

honest_john
    Twin Cities, Minn.

We will be fishing Balsam Lake for its elusive walleyes. Seriously, walleye fishing on the Opener has been tough on this lake for the last several years.

jld235
    Eau Claire

IF…and I repeat if the turkeys cooperate and I’m out of the woods by Sat, I’ll be splitting my day between Tainter and Wissota. In the past the Ol’ Miss has been my opening day destination, but I figure this year I’ll see what the lakes are giving up…not to mention its a 10 minute drive. Good luck to all…1 week and counting

bigpike

Have a commitment for my nieces first communion and will be going home for the opener. Monday though I will try below the Wissota Dam,on the Chip….

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

May first heading to the cities,spending the day in a hot tub, May the second heading to Las Vegas for a little more pool side activities and fun.Good luck to all. Steve

skeeter
    West Metro

Anybody fish Wappogasset(sp?) much? A buddy of mine has a cabin on the lake, never really caught much there. Any help with this lake would be much appreciated!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

If he’s not catching much there, I’m sidin’ with “wrong place, wrong time” because Wappy is full o’ fish! I’ve seen some lurking monsters in that water and caught a few nice bass and panfishing is awesome this time of year! As is often the case though, the best fishing on Wappy, is usually found away from the crowds. The typical “Hot Spots” are typical for good reason but getting off the beaten path can produce some real fun!

My best advice is to keep talking to locals and don’t be afraid to scout. Scouting has landed me more smiles than anything else on this lake!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.