SE WI Opener – Bass

• nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Hit the water today with my FIL and Brother. Stayed close to home and hit up Rock Lake for the day. Fished the main lake for about an hour covering some deep and shallow prespawn patterns that failed. Water temps were just over 50 with nothing over 51 on the main lake. No baitfish, no new weeds. Moved into the Marsh where water temps averaged 54+ with highest mark of 56. Found some males really, really shallow (measured in inches) that were agressive willing to take a jig and twin grub tail flipped in quietly. No big girls anywhere shallow. In the marsh there are also some deeper ditches approximately 4-5 feet versus the average depth of 2-3ft. Perfect place for the big girls to be staging up waiting for the “right” time to move up. Even though the weather has been cold the grass has begun growth providing some good cover. We tried slow presentations with no takers. This was the textbook situation for ripping some lipless cranks, and man did it payoff. Boated 20+ largies, multiple over 3lb, a 4lb 10oz, a big dogfish (didnt know they had teeth, jeez), lots of snake northerns, and one gigantic 40+ inch pike that stole my favorite crank the last ten minutes of the day. Props to my brother for snagging himself in the hat with his own crank. Luck, lucky guy he had a hat on.

stratos_375
    Southern Wisconsin

Sounds like a nice way to start the season!

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Nice work. I wish That I was able to get out and wish even more that our state’s season opened sooner. Keep the reports coming.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

We wait here in MN!!!!

Great report and way to adapt.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.