What to use and where

• upnorth

1st time on Winnie and looking for some basic info as to where to go and what baits and tactics to use. Do have a map so I should (I hope anyhow) be able to find spots that are suggested.

Thanks
    upnorth

sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Ravens point to Mallard point in 8-10 feet, along the North shore mainly on the west side of it and Tamarack point. The shiners have ended there spawn, so the fish will be on the move. It may be a week or so away but look for those midlake bars to fill up with fish here fairly soon. JIg and minnows have still been working, those Northland Fireball jigs are the ticket. A number of people were pulling rigs with leeches this last few days and I did see some pretty decent fish caught. Be prepared to catch a ton of little fish, they seem to be everywhere.

DRAKE
    ROCHESTER, MN

Sean,
    When the fish move to the midlake bars do most people pull cranks with leadcore or livebait rigs?

Also thanks for running this site it has been very helpful.
    Maybe see you this weekend we will be in a blue 2025 pro-v.

sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Mainly spinners and rigs for those deep water fish. A few times the crankbaits have worked but it seems that the water is a bit cold for that right now.

3-6 foot snells with a big leech or crawler seems to be the ticket for the next couple of months. Don’t be afraid of vertical jigging over the next couple of weeks with minnows or leeches, it works pretty good as well.
    Well I’m headed out for an afternoon trip see ya out there….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.