Great Fishing

• Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I spent the last four days fishing Winni. Myself, my dad, and my brother along with a group of three other boats caught a ton of fish. Thursday and Friday were pretty slow. We managed to catch a few here and there. We fished all the way from the dishes to the Gap. We also worked our way from the Gap westward. We picked up some fish in these areas with most being nice slot fish. On both Thursday and Friday night we moved into five to seven feet of water and did some rip jigging. This produced a lot of small fish. We only managed two or three keepers doing this. Other boats in our group went to Ravens point and High Banks with the same success. Finally on Saturday the fishing broke loose. We headed over to Tamarack Point. We were greated by about 50 boats all pulling in fish. There was no wind, so we put trolled with small jigs to avoid the weeds on the bottom. This produced many small fish with three just under 17. After the wind picked up, we started a drift in 7 feet. This produced three more keepers. On our next drift we went into 6 feet. We ended that drift with 5 fish over 17 inches. After getting some food, we headed back to Tamarack at 7. Two drifts through all the boats and we had three in the livewell, 6 in the 17-22″ range and a dozen under 14″. As the sun sank, the walleyes and boats seemed to disappear. We ended up putting eight in the livewell that night. The bigest fish in our group came from High Banks and Tamarack. On the way home we estimated our boats catch at about 100 9″-14″ fish, 25 14″-17″ (18 after some meals between the group), and 20 17″ plus. This lake is awesome and it will only get better. There are plenty of keepers and with the numbers of small ones, there will be many more.

Good Luck. Thanks Sean for your reports earlier this week.

sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Sounds great, the Tamarack bite is only going to get better as the fish are still somewhat spread out….once we hit the 60 degree mark watch out. Well thanks for the report….Fish hard and Often…..Boy it looks like the rain gear is going to get a work out today….Bring on those eyes….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.