Winnie on Opener

• sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Just looking for a roll call for opening weekend on Winnie.

I will be out there about every day for the first month. Boy if the weather holds warm, I hope we have a strong shiner run…which we should since the high winds over the last few days have really taken care of most of the ice. This will warm the water up and fill the shallows with them. SHould be a great opener…can’t wait.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hey Sean!

I’ll be taking my dad up there on the 19th. He’s been staying at the 3rd river landing for the last 30 years or so. He’s getting a little stiff in the camper, so last year I rented a cabin at Cut Foot Souix Inn. He liked that, so that’s where we’ll be again this year.

I know we’ll be in the 3rd river flowage at least one day. If the wind is up, we’ll be hanging around eagles nest and in those areas.

If you see a green Lund with the red, white and blue duct taped to the anchor light say HI!

Brian

Bill Marty
    Bloomington,MN

How are the water levels up there. I am trying to launch on Bowstring on the opener and had troubles last year with my bunk trailer. Had to push the boat off and crank it on.

sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Brian,
    Sounds great, Boy the fishing that time of the year can be awesome. With the lake ice looking like it is going to go out this week we should really see some great first couple of weeks as the shiner run should be in full swing. If I see you I will diffently say hi. Good Luck

sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Bill,
    The water level is as low if not lower then it was last year. We did have some decent rainfall this past weekend, but we are going to need plenty more of it to get us to the normal level. I would expect the water level to be about the same as last year on Bowstring. The one nice thing about the low water levels the last few years on Bowstring is the lack of pressure the lake has had because of it. It is mother natures new stocking program up here, low water levels keep anglers off the lake, pretty good plan I guess. Well if you do go to Bowstring, let us know your results…Good Luck

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I have to ask you one more question Sean. We’ve brought shiners along to 3rd river for about 10 years and never caught as much as a perch on them. We generally us a little joe with fatheads. I would thing at some point a northern or something would nail it. Any reason for this that you know of?

sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Boy thats odd, as it seems that first month or so the shiner with a jig is the ticket. Early in the year when the ice goes off late and shiners are hard to come by, I use a fathead but otherwise its those shiners. It maybe that the 3rd river area has more fatheads in it so the fish are concentrating on the fatheads, but if you go to the flats on the east side from the Rock pile to the gap and down to plughat, I garuntee if you use a shiner, you will catch a number of eyes, perch and northerns. I know in the past we have caught a mixed bag all over that area, but its usually around memorial weekend or so before I make it down to that area.

Thats a great question and if anyone else has experienced the same thing as Brian, lets hear about it.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

We’ve gone down to 3rd river quite a few times on opening weekend. We never use anything other than shiners on opener. We always do pretty well down there with shiners and jigs.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I guess I need to try a jig. We always use a little joe spinner.

Thanks!

wallygator
    cohasset mn.

i think ill fish from shore on the south side of the lake with a bobber and plain hook with a cigerette but on it !! think this method will get my limit sean

sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Well with the numbers of fish that are in Winnie I bet you might get a few takers. Better yet you should try it in the Gap opening morning. Anchor up, put on a big ol bobber and see what happens. If you want I have the snoppy rod in the garage yet, I think it has about 20 lb line on it and one of those funky snoopy bobbers. Boy the Winnie itch must be starting Can’t wait to start pounding fish again

wallygator
    cohasset mn.

well i didnt get to red yesterday and today i play school bus so hopefully the wind is calm tomorow maybe ill go i was out on pokegema day before yesterday and got some gills , well dont work to hard see ya later

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.