Winnie help

• brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

The family and I will be staying near Winnie all next week. I have zero experience on this lake. Can someone give me a general idea as to where to start or what I should look for? Walleyes would be nice, but perch, crappies, slimers and crappies will work too. Thanks for any advice. We will probably generally launch on the north shore somewhere.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

There is an MTT tournament this weekend so hopefully some of those guys will post more current info for you. We were up there a week and a half ago and caught fish on spinners in 12-15 feet on the shoreline weeds and the humps. Jolly Roger’s nuclear perch, Firebelly, and Seyka perch spinner blades worked best. Some guys were trolling cranks but the spinner guys I saw were doing better. We marked a lot of fish on the humps but found that if there were quite a few perch that we had to move. The weeds had Walleyes and perch all mixed together. We didn’t catch any perch that were worth keeping. The fish weren’t on fire but 25-30 fish per tournament day with over half keepers is pretty good.

maurice

fished Winnie 26 years and to get started I hired a guide for a half day and fished the rest of the week off what I learned-eventually learned the lake very well–it is big–good luck–snagged

freedomrock

Man, that is a loaded question. Big lake, tons of structure. If I were to point you in any direction for Walleyes on the big lake, it would be trolling raps along shorelines on the North / North West shore or spinners along any weedbeds (anywhere). Rigging is always a good option on the humps. Head to Cutfoot for Panfish. Crappies were on fire last weekend. If you find the right bait artificial or other, you can catch Walleyes and Crappies. Small jigs with worm chunks work well for panfish. Google Lake Winnie fishing reports there are a number of them updated regularly.

Coffee
    Burnsville, MN

Curious about the crappie fishing in Cutfoot. Our family had a vacation in late July/early aug. didn’t cath one. We got into some nice walleyes on Winnie pulling spinners w/crawlers in the weeds when the wind didn’t blow us off. Heard some crappies were being caught but not sure what to look for. Are the crappies right up against the reeds in cutfoot? what kind of depth? small minnows under a bobber? or casting with jig and minnow? how can I connect on the crappies next year late July /early aug?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.