Winnibigosh Report

• Fife
    Ramsey, MN

The Walleyes are snapping up on Winnie. My Dad was up with a friend on Thursday and they fished along the edge of the ice and by Friday morning it was ice free. Water temps were at 42 when we started Friday morning and were up to 48 when I pulled the boat out on Saturday afternoon. Like 100s of other boats, we found incredible action in 7-10 feet of water in “The Gap” between Cutfoot and Winnibigosh. It is amazing to look around at any given time and see that atleast ¼ of the boats around are reeling in a fish. Moving around at .5-.7 mph with a 1/16 or 1/8 oz jig and minnow was the ticket. We even put the spot lock on a couple times when the Walleyes got schooled up in a tight area. Back to back casts netted my Dad big fish honors with a 27” and 26” fish. All of our fish in this area were 16”-27”. On Saturday we started in the same area and caught our fill of big fish, so we decided to go looking for some males to put in the frying pan. We found them holding tight to a rock/weed transition along with the spawning perch. The action was a little slower, but all of the fish were either jumbo perch or walleyes that fell under the 17” protected slot. It was a great weekend of sharing the boat with my Dad and Brother as well as spending some time around the fire with the rest of the group.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Nice report.

2.5 weeks away and I’ll be up for 5 days.

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Nice work guys. I cant wait to get back out there Friday

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

we’re heading up Friday for a week. can’t wait for some good fishing and camping with family and friends.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

looking like Winnie is ice covered. up deerhunting this past weekend our lake had 5 inches bout 40 yards out!!!!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

was a balmy -40 below up there this AM!!!!!!

DRH1175

How’s the Ice on the lake. Any plowed roads yet?

jake_p
    St. Louis Park mn

From what I’ve heard there is too much snow for the little plows, n not enough ice for the big plows yet. Even with the last cold snap the lake only gained a few inches of ice. But with this arctic cold we got now who, knows… I’ll be up this weekend.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.