Lake Winnibigoshish for the opener??? Help???

• cmquandt

Was wondering if this year will be good? Our group sticks mainly to Live bait jiging and Cork presentations. We fish out of beckers resort and head into the lake from the Mississippi(west side of the lake)…Does anyone have any other fishing styles they found to be good and care to share…spots? Thanks in advance for the Help!

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

With the normal maybe even late spring I would think fishing will be pretty good.

In May my go to is a jig/minnow combo which usually does the trick once in a while we switch it up to lindy/leech but that is pretty rare.

Spots….that won’t be hard with the tight slot on Mille Lacs…. just look for the hoards of boats, it will probably be a zoo on Winni.

Make sure you drive slow in groups of boats, DNR/Sheriff was ticketing people for going too fast through the boats around the gap a couple years ago.

the_grump
    Le Center

Don’t forget the extension for the auger

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

Shiners and green jigheads.

pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

… and remove your portable every night!

jiggin-rake

I like the area where cutfoot Sioux lake enters lake winnibigoshish.

jiggin-rake

Thanks for the great info pdl and grumpy.

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Jig and minnow is all you need to catch fish up there on the opener.

cmquandt

Jig and a Minnow is the ticket I guess…Lead core or 3 ways ever work for a guy? Floating jigs?

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Fish will be shallow so lead core and 3 ways likely won’t be needed. Trolling shallow (think fall on Mille Lacs) with shallow running shads or stick baits will work in the evening hours(probably all day for that matter). the Classic winni combo is a spottail with a green jig.

Places to try are the Gap, Highbanks, Tammarac Point, Ravens point, Mallards point, the dishes, etc.

I won’t be there for opener but will be there for a week at the end of May. Winni seems to always produce when I have been there.

good luck, be patient with other boaters, enjoy yourself

OutdoorAssociate
    Rochester Mn

Hope it warms up fast. I think it was 3 years ago there was only a 3 mile wide spot on the north end of the lake that was fishable due to late ice out. From beckers go left look for boats and work your way around the north end, lots of good spots to fish and most will have boats on them. Minnow and a pink, gold, or green jig, good luck I will be out there also.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.