Winnie Report 04-17-12 to 04-19-12

• midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

Fishing and weather were interesting on Winnie. We had a lot of wind Thursday, Friday wind and smoking hot and then Saturday evening the wind changed and got cold. Well the fishing was interesting as well, we caught a few in 7 feet a few in 10 to 12 feet and a few on top of the midlake humps. It appeared to us the fish are in transition mode, we would catch a few here and there but never caught more than 4 or 5 in one spot. The size ran nice we did not catch any real small ones, keepers were nice 16 inchers with some slot fish mixed in. Shiners and jigs caught fish as well as live bait rig and leeches. Not a bad weekend we cleaned and ate fish each night but just never found a nice consistent bite.

Jay Jones
    Onalaska Wi

Did Admiral Nelson make the trip? Sounds like you guys had a good trip.

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Nice report. Yeah that kinda how the bite has been since opener. We got into a few good bites but it never lasted more then an hour. I wasn’t out there last weekend but will be headed back up tomorrow for the weekend. I heard the North end is going pretty good now.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Sounds similar to the fishing we had up there Friday and Saturday. On Friday all of the typical walleye spots were full of perch and northerns, so we just kept moving deeper until we connected with some walleyes. All of the fish we did catch were 16-17 inches. Saturday we started deep but then moved shallow as the wind picked up. From 12-3pm we were able to capitalize on an active school of fish in 6-7 feet of water. We were jigging 1/8 oz chartreuse jigs with Shiners. When we cleaned the fish, they had 2-3 small perch in their stomach so these fish were in feed mode. Every spring we go to Winnie looking for these active schools of shallow fish and we were finally able to connect on the last day.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

May is the 5th month..

onestout
    Hudson, WI

maybe they don’t like to fish with other boats around, you ever think of that Mike??

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Quote:

May is the 5th month..

I read, and reread, and reread again before I finally got it. Yes it was May for me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.