Winnie report 02-04-12

• midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

Hit Winnie on Saturday, what a beautiful day sunny and almost no wind so I was able to spend most of the day outside just hole hopping. Fished the east side, off road travel is easy which is nice for February. Set up on a break where it goes from 22 feet out to 30 feet. Caught some Perch in 30 but the more active fish were in 22 to 24 feet. Caught a bunch of Perch about 15 from 9 to 12 inches and at least twice that many smaller ones. I also got a fat 29 inch drag screaming Pike which was really fun on an ultralight rod and 3 pound test.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

nice to see a report, also nice to see you had some good luck and had fun
    any colors working out the best?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Glad to hear some perch are being caught. Our group is heading up there in 3 weeks.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Quote:

Glad to hear some perch are being caught. Our group is heading up there in 3 weeks.

our crew is there too, so is Woody 036, we will most likely use Highbanks access. We are staying on Portage Lake, sharing time between Winni and Portage Bay on Leech. Evening fishing crappies/walleye on Portage.

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

Quote:

Quote:

our crew is there too, so is Woody 036, we will most likely use Highbanks access. We are staying on Portage Lake, sharing time between Winni and Portage Bay on Leech. Evening fishing crappies/walleye on Portage.

Why yes I am!!! Im glad people have been doing decent up there fishing. This trip cannot come fast enough. About how much ice is up there? If there is no snow and decent ice, getting around with trucks will absolutely rock!

midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

I would say there was 20 to 22 inches of ice and I actually think the ice is in better shape this year than it was last year at this time with all the snow we had. Travel around with a truck is pretty easy there are a few drifts you have to look out for but bring a shovel just in case and you should be fine. Most of the fish I caught were on a Perch colored Rattlin Flyer Spoon and some were caught on full fathead minnow under a bobber. One thing I have always tried to do on Winnie is get away from the groups of houses, this year that should be pretty easy if we don’t get a big dumping of snow.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

We are staying at Nodaks. Will be multi-species fishing the area inclduing a Red Lake run. But hoping the big perch are on. That is primary goal.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Mike there’s reports of a pressure ridge running east-west along the shoreline, that’s the reason we wouldn’t use Nadaks or Denny’s. You hear anything about this? Heck if you smell the distinct odor of sausages on the grill on Saturday, follow your nose, you can join us for sausage Saturday. I just got word we will be also serving buffalo burgers for the non-sausage loving crowd.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

We’ll access wherever. That’s just our base camp since we have a cabin reserved there. I’ll touch base with you here when it gets close. Maybe we’ll run into each other and no reason we cant share intel up there. Or maybe some buffalo…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.