North Shore

• Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

The family and I are heading up to the north shore by Two Harbors for a weekend get away, should I bring a fishing pole or two? Not sure what’s going on up there, and traveling in a VW beatle so space is limited. If anything is biting, the tackle takes precedence over everthing else I’m packing!

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

You should have room for at least one pocket fisherman
    in the beatle.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

That would have to go on the roof I think…..

Man I remember those as a kid, they were kinda fun!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I highly recommend getting some jerky and smoked salmon at Lou’s. Just thinking about it is making me hungry for some.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

I’m a Kendall guy! I can always bring some back for you Su, I work in Hudson….

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Kendal? I believe you. Have you tried Lou’s? Maybe we should work out a swap. I will bring some extra home from my Spooner spot just in case.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

I did both Russ Kendall and Lous, Russ’s won me over fish wise. Sounds like a plan? What do you want?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Jerky from Lou’s unless you think Kendals is better. 1/2-3/4 pound would be awsome. I’ll grab you the same from Spooner. What’s next, a jerky forum??

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

We really need that food forum darn it! Will do, I’ll be in touch next week. I live in Cottage, work in Hudson, so you’re in between.

Dream’n
    South St. Paul, Mn

At minimum bring a spinning rod and some small/medium Krocodile spoods and cast the mouths of rivers for Steelhead. Make sure you got your trout stamp!
    Dream’n

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

Does anyone know when the water will be really flowing at Gooseberry Falls?

adam dungan
    Two Harbors

Gooseberry should be flowing pretty good and I live on the Stewart river and it’s been running for about a week now. You should be able to fish out from Betty’s Pies or right in that area of the Stewart with some luck you may catch a steelhead or two. Lou’s or Kendall’s you can’t go wrong.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

yeah, other than where fishinforfun said to try, the whole shore is pretty unfishable as of yesterday. i know the area from the lester river to the french has ice extending out 50 yards or so, so you wont be able to fish that.

shiner2367

You’ll be able to cast off the Two Harbors breakwall with a spinning rod and some cleos, krocs, etc. Good chance at coho and the occasional laker swimming around. Be careful around the mouths of the rivers with krocs, cleos, etc. unless you are fishing single hooks (no trebles) inside the mouth. Good luck!

Make sure the steelhead go back in the river after a quick photo!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Jerky tradin time.

eye_hunter

Quote:

Make sure the steelhead go back in the river after a quick photo!

i thought you could keep clipped steal heads. thats what it says in the regulations.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Most of the clipped fish are loopers, not steelhead. I’ve never seen a clipped steelie. They may snip a few, but most of what you’ll see are actually loopers.

eye_hunter

ive seen some clipped steel heads before. while i was smelting i saw some guys keep them. i did not fish but they are there.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Thanks for all the replies guys, but I never did get a line in the water! Many areas still had alot of ice, and I was too busy eating most of the time. What a pretty weekend, even saw the first ships coming and going. Only complaint is the freaking deer! Oh my, I can’t believe we didn’t hit one, they are every where. That and the storm damage, heck it looks like a ‘nado hit the Silver Bay area. Thanks again!

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

The jerky exchange went off without a hitch, there was a couple of cops and what looked like undercover guys in the gas station parking lot, the rain made for good cover for Suzuki and I. We got away with the goods, no bust that I know of. Thanks Suz, good stuff! I’ll tell my friends, how much is that stuff per gram? Time to watch the hockey game with some beer and jerky, they are going to love me in the AM at the office.

shiner2367

Quote:

i thought you could keep clipped steal heads. thats what it says in the regulations.

Like mentioned before, most of the clipped fish are going to be Loopers.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Yep, the guys I talked to on the ice said loops all the time….

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I think it depends on which coast you are fishing when it comes to steelhead. Both Minnesota and Wisconsin have them, but I think the latter has more of a showing of them. I do most of my stream fishing in the Stewart and I have only seen a couple true steelhead taken there over the years….of course most of those I think might be steelhead get off before they hit gravel.

Loopers are more common in Minnesota waters in and around the Duluth Two Harbors areas and easier to get to a net. I’ve taken many loopers in the river and they are something to hook up to, but a steelhead is like hooking onto the rocket that takes the space shuttle aloft.

Both of the spring fish are different from one another in a couple ways, but are also close enough that if the fish doesn’t have the mandible or fin clip, or both, they have to go back. I personally have not seen a true steelhead clipped, ever. The looper has a more heavily spotted back and appears to be a deeper greenisish along the back. The looper is slightly more stocky than a steelhead of the same weight. A nice looper is 5 pounds, a huge looper is over 6. I have yet to see an 8 pound looper, but have seen steelheads that were over the 10 pound mark.

I think locally a lot of people simply refer to the looper as a steelhead and this can cause some confusion for those who are not real familiar with the fish. An interesting piece of trivia I heard up there one morning on a radio talk show discussing steelhead fishing with a MN DNR Fisheries guy was that for every 19 steelhead hooked up, 1 gets landed. I believe that….they are pure brutes.

eye_hunter

ok, this sounds like a really dumb question, but is looper a nickname for the fish, i tried to look it up there were no pictures or reference to loopers. can anybody post pictures comparing the looper and steelhead.

eye_hunter

that was a good article, but they keep refering to the looper as a stealhead too. so what is most distinct about them.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

that was a good article, but they keep refering to the looper as a stealhead too. so what is most distinct about them.

Most distinct is the heavy black spotting seen across the back and the chunky appearence. True, natural steelhead are much sleeker in shape….not as deep as loopers are from the dorsal to the belly. The heavy black spotting is a dead give-away.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

The Kamloops are just a strain of rainbow trout, as is a true steelhead. athe big difference is that the steelhead are “Lake run” where the Loopers are hatchery raised and hang around the mouths of rivers close to shore which makes them a great choice for stocking as it works in favor of the shore fishing folks. Steelhead can be hatchery raised too..but do not like to come in close to shore except for spawning periods I have found.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.