Lester river/Superior HELP ANYONE?????

• mike_anderson
    Alborn,Minnesota

I am planning on fishing where the lester river flows into the big lake on saturday and was wondering if anyone could help me out on wat i might catch and wat to use????
    thanks
    Mike

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Looper bugs with a waxie under a float or a spawn sack drifted near the bottom. Lopers and cohos, maybe a really early steelie.

#’s 2,3,or 4 spinners will work….gold, single hook though. Kastmasters, Krokodile spoons and lil cleos with single hooks will work too. Try gold with an orange stripe.

Light action, longish rod, 6 pound mono or fluoro will work great.

jimmy wallner
    St. Paul, Minnesota

Most likely kamloops or a stray laker or salmon.. Better make sure its still safe.. wind opens it up sometimes. There were guys out in front of it last week.

Dream’n
    South St. Paul, Mn

10-15 years ago we would catch loopers on small maribou jigs (looper bugs) on the ice in front of the French River. Anywhere from 2-20 feet of water. Fun watching them swim by! I lived one block from the mouth of the Lester and did not have that much luck there in the winter. Let us know how you do. Maybe go up by the Sucker, there is a nice rock point there for casting spoons!

mike_anderson
    Alborn,Minnesota

Thanks alot guys.. i will let you know how i do.. ya i dont know how much ice is out there but there was a portable ice house there on monday evening.. thanks again
    Mike

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

not a whole lot of ice left…… if i have time tonight ill run down and check for ya. im about a mile away. if i were you id go off of 21st, but BE CAREFUL! that ice can be scary down there. at the lester, there should be a few loopers but i would think you would catch more fish off of 21st or up at the french. There was no ice at the french as of yesterday but that can change in 5 hours. id bring some shore fishing gear with ya too. i cant tell you how many times i went to the french with my ice gear and ran back home for my shore gear and vice versa. now i always bring both.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

there were 18 houses off of 21st today. coho herring and some lakers are being caught.if you go out there id reccommend wearing a life jacket and having picks. idk how thick that ice is but with the waves coming in the ice moves quite a bit and can crack easily. people are fishing 50 feet from open water

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

as of right now, 605 pm the lester is unfishable, meaning you cant ice fish or shore fish. im guessing its that way up at the french too.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Happy Birthday Grant.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Yes indeed…..Happy Birthday, Grant! A little late in the day, but I hope you got all that you hoped for.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

thank you guys! the gf got me an ido sweatshirt and mom got me 15 reef runners, couldnt be better!

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

The french is now fishable as of today. i went down there and got some coho’s around noon today. didnt see any loopers or steelhead caught tho

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.