Duluth Area Lakers…

• fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Does anyone have information about ice fishing for lakers in the Duluth area of Lake Superior? I’d think it’d be froze pretty good with the recent cold spell.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

i would be interested in hearing even an ice report for the north shore at least up to two harbors

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I’m not sure about lakers, but the St Louis River in the Duluth harbor area is getting pounded right now.

The walleye bite is spotty, but there are some pigs coming through the ice.

I’m going to be up there this weekend and may have time to hit the ice.

I’ll keep my ears open on laker reports.

Sully

gdandm
    Elk River, Mn

Water temps are in the low 40’s still. There’s just too much water to freeze even with the cold temps we’ve been having. Unless you’re one hard core boater you’ll have to wait for the pack ice to blow down from Canada.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’m sure that if a guy put screws in the lugs of his boots he could hit the Two Harbors breakwater. Lakers, loopers and coho would be likely victims. There may be reasonable ice inside the harbor if the shipping is done.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

Water temps are in the low 40’s still. There’s just too much water to freeze even with the cold temps we’ve been having.

WOW!!!! Really????

I would have never guessed.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

what about the duluth harbor is that froze over? i have seen people fishing there before but i have no clue what they are catching, lol if anything

superiorfishing
    Hastings,MN

they catch some walleye out there and sturgeon–they been fishing there since almost Thanksgiving— I fished there last year caught only one walleye for a days fishing–4pds–gets better later in Feburary if I remember right!! they do catch a few coho’s in ther also

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

there is ice at the french river and we are seeing some loopers, but it is still kind of early yet. There are about 4 inches of ice. People are getting coho’s up in two harbors as of today. We should start to get some good ice since the shipping season has stopped.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

What is a typical ice setup for loopers through the ice?

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

some days a little spoon like a vingila will work and others its the smallest little crappie jig you can find. Both of these presentations are tipped with a wax worm. Others use spawn on a number 6 hook. My favorite is a little 32nd ounce jig i got with a little fuzz on it and a waxie.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

off the french river today i saw 5 loopers and got none. a few guys got some, it seems like right at dead noon is when they are biting good. There are anywhere from 6 to 13 inches of ice

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Thanks for the info! Do you find flourocarbon line works best? What pound test?

I amy have to make the run soon!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Chris….

If you go up for loopers spool 6 pound Vanish on a reel with a GOOD drag. Have the reel on a walleye weight rod. If you are on open ice, use a little longer rod.

Just about every baitshop uo there will sell whats called a looper bug. Its a 1/32 tube jig used for panfish and has some chenille on the lead and some hackle….pretty simple but great lures. They get tipped with a couple waxies. The spawn is available all over up there too and is fished on a plain hook with a split and a float.

Stop in Duluth at Marine General. The place is amazing and the information they have will shorten the hunt. MG is located on London Road and easy to find. Take 35 to where it ends and Hiway 61 starts again. Go left at that intersection about a mile and a half. Its on the right side and has a huge yellow tent in front.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Feburary and march are the best times to be out there since the fish are ready to spawn and they stack up outside the river mouths. Right now you can get them but it seems like feburary and march are better.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Thanks guys! I have a good supply of looper bugs. I second the Marine General comment! Great people up there!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.