Two Harbors

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I just returned home from a 13 day stint at the cabin in Two Harbors. There was way too much foliage yet for grousing, but the big lake’s fishing made up for it.

Generally speaking, the larger lake trout hadn’t moved inshore yet and the largest I took from the breakwater was in the 6 pound range. From the boat with downriggers, the 6 pound mark was “just” topped.

Salmon were the fish this fall trip. The rivers were running pretty thin and the chinook salmon seemed to be stacked up all along the shore lines. Whether in the boat or casting the breakwater, as long as the lure was kept in the top 5 feet of water and moving quickly, the salmon gave you action.

Some days were 4 fish days, some were 6 to 7 fish days. Only two days were what I would call flat water days, the balance were quite windy. What amazed me was the salmon bite in what I’d call surf….waves in the 7 to 9 foot range. If the waves got annoying a step or two to the other side [harbor side] of the breakwater gave relief and salmon. They were insane.

Salmon were all running 3 to 6 pounds, some maybe smaller but not very many.

Lots of deer this trip too. We had 4 bucks in the yard at all times of the day and night along with tons of does and fawns. No moose this time around, but we had one boar bear that looked like about 350 pounds come visit and dine.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.