Tough going on Lake Superior so far

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The wife, kiddo and I made a run up to visit family in Duluth this weekend and I had hopes of bringing the boat along so I could fit in a morning outing or two out on Superior looking for some trout or salmon. I did some calling around before heading up and was told the bite was very slow…”wait another week or two.”

So I left the Skeeter at home and shelved fishing plans. From our table at supper last night it became apparent that I received some very good advice! Ice is still stacked up outside Duluth harbor for as far as the eye can see.

I know some have been getting out further ip the north shore but I heard the bite has been tough even if you’re not dealing with the ice.

So two weeks it is. Hopefully the ice is long gone by the time I get back and water temps warm. Everything I’m seeing shows temps at 33 to 36 degrees across the entire lake.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

I even heard the Steelhead run was really slow all along the North Shore this Spring. The rivers opened up as late as anyone can remember.

norge

Same story out of Marquette and Munising near me. No sane person would try to take a boat out with the ice in or near harbors now! This warm weather should help anyway but it won’t be real soon.

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

I grew up in Duluth and Lake Superior never really warms up above mid-40’s except where the wind has been blowing the warm surface water into shore for awhile. Did your friend say maybe in two weeks?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The kids are at the cabin this week and sent some pictures from the breakwater in Two Harbors. No ice there. None at all.

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

I ran out of the Mn entry last week in pea soup fog to find the ice stacked up to shore(Ice had blown in overnight, forecasters had wrong wind direction). We trailered up to McQuade to launch. Ended up with a 32″ laker(released) and 3 Coho in 4-5 hrs. Not the best fishing yet. But there is another very good bite going on right now in Duluth to keep me busy for now.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I grew up in Duluth and Lake Superior never really warms up above mid-40’s except where the wind has been blowing the warm surface water into shore for awhile. Did your friend say maybe in two weeks?

I think the “wait two weeks” was more of a way to say “not now” than a prediction of any kind. That said the run of warm weather Duluth is seeing this week will work wonders.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

But there is another very good bite going on right now in Duluth to keep me busy for now.

Tease!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.