FW Conquers Lake Superior

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

In spite of the queasy feelings on Thursday and Friday in the 4-6′ rollers, we managed to get a better day today to control the boat. That resulted in much better success.

We headed up on Thursday around noon and got on the water at the Knife River marina after a quick dinner at about 7 pm. We fished for about 1.5 hrs and had only 1 miss. As I said, 4-6′ rollers out of the NE made things difficult.

Friday morning, things weren’t much different. We dodged rain showers again and big rollers by the Knife until about 9:30 am after I lost one of my dipseys on the bottom. Went to grab a backup and foud out I took them out of the boat. Since rain was moving in I headed back to the MG to pickup another.

We waited out the rain showers in the camper until about 3 pm and decided to try Two Harbors. This time we went 5/5 and picked up 4 lakers and one small king. Biggest laker was about 28″. Forgot the camera and the fruit phone battery died on the water. No pics.

This morning we were hoping for a NW wind and we got it. The 6′ rollers were reduced to a ripple . After driving about 8 miles east we only managed 1 small laker and decided to head back to the truck at about 9 am. She needed more layers. Felt more like spring on the Rainy River than July on Superior. Gloves and winter gear barely kept us warm. We decided to troll over the hump outside the harbor and before the dipsy was even at full depth after locking the spool, her rod was bending.

We trolled over that hump for the next 2.5 hours and every time we went over, we had one on, and had 2 doubles. We trolled over and over until two boats basically stole the hump. We went elsewhere and caught a couple more.

We picked up about 15 fish this morning including her personal best king and laker. No measurement on the laker but I’d guess about 32″ and about 10#.

About 90% of all fish came on dipsys and only a few on leadcore. Can’t wait go get back up. Got my eyes on Isle Royale someday, but I’ll need a better boat for that. The FW did feel that we were outmatched by the waves at times, which is good incentive to get a bigger boat .

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Congrats on the fish. Real dandies there.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m doing something wrong out there on Superior as I’ve yet to catch a king of any size. I’d love to tangle with one like your wife is holding.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

I’m doing something wrong out there on Superior as I’ve yet to catch a king of any size. I’d love to tangle with one like your wife is holding.

Maybe targeting too far north??? Last season of about 6 days of fishing, I caught about 20 kings and a few cohos. Hers is the biggest by far.

I have a few questions for you. On some of your shows and reports it seemed like you were using several leadcore lines and leadcore with boards. How did you run your spreads? I have a few issues even when I run 2 lead and 2 dipseys.

Have you guys used dipseys up where you go? For some reason I get 4 times as may fish on dipseys over lead.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.