May fishing?

• AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Rumor has it come May we can be out on Superior fishing, so I’m looking for a few tips.

Will they be probably in shallow?
    Will I need either planer boards or down riggers?
    Spoons work?
    Weather permitting can you Jig for trout/samlon then?
    The Duluth area be as good as any?

Anything else??

TIA

al…is it spring yet???

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Should be an ok planer bite. Dont generally need to dig deep then. Also the salmon innthe South end is the best early in the season.
    4-6″ brite colored stick baits longlined, leadcore or dipsies( some times fly flasher but generally its a bit early).
    Spoons can work as well. I tend to run spoons later but dont rule them out.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Thanks, sounds like I have most of what I’ll need then.

You think fishing better on the Wisc side or MN??

btw I’m retiring June 14th and will be looking for fishing partners..:)

Superior or other lakes too.

al

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

are they within shore fishing range during this time period, or will they have shifted out to slightly deeper water?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

There are all kinds of shore fishing areas along the North Shore. Lester River right on Duluth’s north side is a fair spot to cat. The Sucker River, Knife River, Stoney Point and Two Harbors all have shore fishing. Two Harbors has the breakwater that will get you about 1/3 of a mile out in the lake and there are always some fish of one kind or another to catch from it.

Keep in mind that any fishing in or along the big lake will require a trout stamp and there are regulations that you should be familiar with. You’ll find the general list of regs in the fishing handout free whereever licenses are sold.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

Quote:

There are all kinds of shore fishing areas along the North Shore. Lester River right on Duluth’s north side is a fair spot to cat. The Sucker River, Knife River, Stoney Point and Two Harbors all have shore fishing. Two Harbors has the breakwater that will get you about 1/3 of a mile out in the lake and there are always some fish of one kind or another to catch from it.

Keep in mind that any fishing in or along the big lake will require a trout stamp and there are regulations that you should be familiar with. You’ll find the general list of regs in the fishing handout free whereever licenses are sold.

oh I know about the stamps, I fish the south shore near my cabin in Herbster during the summer months. might have to swing up and try the north shore.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.