August Shore Fishing

• stevew
    Burnsville, MN

Years ago, we used to come up to fish the Lester/French and Two Harbors Breakwater for Kings and trout. I have not been up in recent years but plan to bring my fish-crazy nephew up for a few days in late August. We used to fish at night – throwing J13 rapalas mostly but that was mainly for Kings. I know most of them are gone now. Can you regulars enlighten me a little? Is late August a good time? Tactics? If memory serves, there used to be an odd year run of pinks – is that still a possibility?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The pinks, or humpies, can be had at Splitrock River but they aren’t much for tablefare.

Not a ton of Minnesota kings anymore but that Two Harbors breakwater can be real good for Coho and and the occasional Wisconsin King. Fall Loopers have be known to hook themselves too.

I’d walk out to the elbow of the wall and fish the inside of the harbor from that point to the end. Fall salmon really like the inside of that structure, especially with a south wind of any kind. 6 or 8 pound mono on a 6 to 7 foot light action rod. Use a good swivel. I use spinners in a size 3 and Krokodile lures and Lil Cleos in the 1/3 to 1/4 ounce range with gold/orange and silver/blue being the favored colors. I like a Mepps spinner with the orange tubing on the treble instead of any hair or the hook being without anything on it. Lures of gold with orange on them are my favorite colors on the wall hands down. Copper blades on a size three spinner are good too if the sun is covered.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Tom has some great info there. As for lake tout, you will not see them coming close to shore to spawn in august. Mid September you can cast from the lester and pick them off, but August is too early. As Tom said, the Two Harbors breakwall is probably your best bet right now.

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

Thanks guys. I will post my results!

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

Results….

Lots of hours on the breakwater zero fish. Nice anyway!

Spent part of Saturday at Split Rock River. Five small trout and some nice sized suckers – all released. That was fun!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.