Shields Lake Fishing Report

• TheGuide
    Northfield, MN

Fished Shields Monday afternoon into the evening. The bite started off slow and then picked up to a furious pace and then died down after the sun went down. Started out at 2pm in Caterlics bay and fished amongst the small metropolis that has taken residence up there this winter. Fished in 14ft of water the went after panfish. Caught over 50 panfish (Bluegills and Crappies) some were actually really big. Technique: Vexilar is a must for fishing these spooky fish. Locate them on your sonar unit and then hover right over them with a small wax worm and a tiny ice jig, preferrably chartruse. No pinch weight and light line….these fish are so spooky it is unbelieveable. Just remember you are not the only one out there, that is most likely the reason that these fish are spooky. Tried some crappie minnows and did not even get a nibble, Wax Worms were the ticket….remember everything had to be small. If you are looking to catch a lot of panfish I would give this a try but you won’t be alone. It was like Lock and Dam No.3 on a sunny saturday morning in early mid April. But so far this is the lake were the bite is actually pretty good. I have tried a lot of the others and have found the bite on pike and walleyes good but panfish not good.

Ice Conditions were very good….10 plus inches in some spots, overall 9 to 10 inches in the West Bay. Be safe and happy holidays.

Frontenac Man
    Lake City, MN

Thanks for the info Brian. I’ll be fishing Faribault area Friday, I’ll let you know how we do.

Frontenac Man
    Lake City, MN

Decided not to go to Faribault, fished Lake Pepin instead. Thanks for the reports, though, keep them coming. I know we’ll make to Shields or Mazaska a couple times this winter.

tgif

How’s the ice on Lake Pepin around Lake City? Any walleye/sauger bite occuring. Any depths being more productive? Thanks. TGIF

Frontenac Man
    Lake City, MN

Fished just north of Maple Springs on 12/26 in 22 to 26 feet, we didn’t catch anything in the morning, but other guys there said there’s been a decent sauger bite in the evenings.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.