Shields Lake Fishing Report

• TheGuide
    Northfield, MN

Got out tonight for a couple of hours. Just had to try out the new fish trap. Boy is that a nice portable fish house!!!! Anyways fished the point just before you come to McCollugh Bay. Caught a lot of perch but they were mostly small. 15 feet of water, glow jigs and crappie minnows. Set up some tips for some walleyes but no bitters. The ice was 9 inches thick where I was fishing and some brave souls heading out with ATV’s and Snowmobiles. Make sure that you are cautious out there. I have heard that Shields has the best ice in the Faribault area and it looked pretty darn good to me. Going out on Wednesday to either Fox or Roberdts will post a report when I get back.

Good Luck Boys and Be Safe!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for the report. Which size Fish Trap did you get? Keep the reports comin. Thanks, Bill

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Brain, is that they bay that is next to the gravel road?

TheGuide
    Northfield, MN

Yeah that is the bay that is next to the Gravel Road on the West side of the Lake.

tgif

Here’s some tips on Shields:
    1. Fish are fairly aggressive and hitting/chasing after daphnea or teardrop shaped jigs. Most crappies are suspended 6-8 ft below the ice whether in 10ft or deeper water. Crappie minnows-small are working best, they won’t hit fatheads anymore, waxies work well also and you’ll get some bluegills mixed in then too. Catching one 10 incher and then move 30-40 ft. then catch one more…usually your 1st or 2nd bite then move again. I tried sitting over them and caught 100 out of 2 holes, but only 4 or 5 were over 10″. MOVE and get away from the noise as best you can. TGIF

TheGuide
    Northfield, MN

TGIF,

Good tips….I am heading out to French at 6am this morning, looking for some eyes and some panfish….plan on fishing most of the day. Man I am really bit by the bug….finished up my finals and now is the time for ice fishing!

I will write a report when I get back!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Hey Guide, let me know how you did. I’m contemplating on hitting Shields or French this weekend.

TGIF: Thanks for the info!

tgif

Guide,
    How much ice did you find on French and what depths could you get to? Any action? I’ve never done well out there in the mornings for ‘eyes. They turn on and off like a light switch out there. TGIF

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.