ICE

• tgif

The ice is slowly thickening in the Faribault area. Right now 3-4 inches is about the average. A few anglers are risking it…but for minimal catches of mainly crappies. There is a good 4+ inches of snow on the lakes and it is keeping the ice insulated from the cold. By this coming weekend the ice should be in good shape…perhaps the best freeze up in years for ice quality. Odds are 4 wheelers and snowmobiles will be on the ice as well. With minimal time so far on the ice I can only speak to some shallow crappies being caught. Perhaps tomorrow I’ll get to squeeze in some ice time to chase some ‘eyes. Let me know where you’ve been and if you’ve gotten out past “neck-deep” and stayed dry. Till then…good fishin’ Brian

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

I checked some lakes yesterday and only found about 1.5-2 inches. Was about 20 miles west of Faribault. Where are you seeing 4 inches.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks Brian. Anybody been out or planning to try the ice this weekend? If so, please be carefull, best to stay in shallow water areas early for safety, and have some safe fun. Hope to hear how everyone does on their first outting.
    Thanks, Bill

gary_wellman
    South Metro

anyone been out to Shields yet to check ice???

Bohemian bay is always good for first ice crappies!

futPWTure77
    Zumbrota, MN

A couple of friends and I are going to try the Country Club Many pits in Rochester. I checked yesterday and some people were already fishing on them, but I will try to remember to post an ice report after fishing. Thanks

Tony

tgif

I have been out 4 times on 3 different lakes…sometimes my ice measurements are off. But the ice is not coming along as well as I expected it to. On nearly all area lakes there is 3-4 inches of ice from shore to 20-30 yards out then it turns to 2 inches of ice an 5 inches of snow (INSULATION) over WARM WATER in my opinion or guess. It may be before it is safe to walk without a spud bar perhaps more. Most anglers are kind scratchin’ their heads after 4-5 nights of 5-10 below temps and a minimal amount of ice. Shields has anglers on 2 inches I hear, but the bite is not happening from what I’ve heard….nothing for crappies….or what you would expect from the usual early ice area. I have not gotten into much of a bite yet…few here few there…so where I’ve been is not of help to anglers and I really don’t advise going where I have been!! All I’m willing to say is I have targeted lakes with max depths of less than 10 feet of water and under 500 acres. Till then….inventory your ice tackle…tune your auger…or kick yourself for putting your boat away. Monday 35+ degrees …I would rather be in a boat anyway!! Hope for the snow on the lakes to somehow disappear before the next cold snap. TGIF Brian

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks Brian. It seems like the water temps stayed warmer longer this fall on alot of bodies of water which will mean it will take longer for the ice to form. Also once it just started making ice we got snow which insulates the ice so it doesn’t freeze as fast as it would if we get no snow. Then it warms up and that creates more problems. I usually wait til after Christmas to get on the ice [chicken I guess but still a live chicken] but this year I seem to have ants in my pants and am getting out earlier BUT am staying SHALLOW for safety. If a person were to fall in water up to their waist it would be better than falling into water over their head. Hopefully there are no more reports of people going through. This year has claimed too many lives already. PLEASE becarefull.
    Thanks, Bill

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Brian have you been out on the ice lately? If so what lakes have good bites going for crappies and which ones for gills?
    Thanks, Bill

tgif

Bill,
    Clear lake has been the most consistent. Crappies biting off north, south, and east sides in 15-17′ after 4pm. Daytime bite is perch and some bluegills up to 9-10″ in 12-18 ft. Tip-up fishing for gators and ‘eye has been slow.

Mazaska and French are slow on crappies, but I’ve pulled some nice 13-14″ fish out of them. Both lakes look to 30′ or deeper. Daytime on French and Night on Mazaska.

Some real nice crappies 14+ inches on Cannon, but like most of the fish on Cannon this winter they aren’t easy to find (active).

Only fished German once this winter, but caught crappies suspended over deep hole at 35 ft. Smaller crappies than other lakes though.

I haven’t heard about Tetonka, but I gotta believe there would be a school of crappies off Best Point.
    Brian

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks Brian. Keep the reports comin.
    Thanks, Bill

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.