Mille Lacs Tulibee

• mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Spent a day and a half with some friends working the outside edges of some mud flats. We were greatly rewarded for our efforts with about 50 tulibee. Sizes ranged from 12-16″ with only a couple smaller than that. It is really neat to see your graph light up like a xmas tree every 5-10 minutes as they are just roaming schools.

Down to the details.

Just off the break in the deep was where we found our fish. Like I said they were roaming schools coming about 5-10 minutes apart with in the bottom 8′. Deadsticks with waxies did put some on the ice but most times they would barely wiggle the bobber.

Using a small spoon with euros was the most productive. Sometimes the tulibee wanted to play cat n mouse and other times they would only hit it if it were held totally still. Bites are very lite and I would deffinatley reccomend using a spring bobber. The bite seemed to shut down around 3:30 or so.

4×4 travel over the entire lake is still an option however be cautious for cracks and heaves. Shouldn’t need an extension in a portable but probly do in a wheel house.

Remember the limit for tulibee on Mille Lacs is 10 which is different from the state wide limit.

Looking forward to eating pickled tulibee.

Good luck, Mark

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Sounds like fun Mark.

Any incidental walleyes this weekend?

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Dan, only a couple. 1 at 15″ the rest were from 10′-6″. It kind of suprised me, thought we would have gotten more even using waxies and euros.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I just picked mine up from Osseo Meats. The price is right at $2 per fish

roger_k
    St. Cloud, MN

Mark —

Sounds like you had better results than we did today. We had a mixed bag of perch, walleye, and tulibee all coming from the 28′-32′ depth. It was brutal outside today, with the temps and lite…winds , it made it tough to stay mobile and keep the holes open.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Quote:

Is that the price to pickle or smoke them? Did you bring them in cleaned?

We got into a few this weekend in the permanent. They came through in a big school and luckily I was sitting in front of my flasher at the time.

panfishchasers
    North Branch, MN

I have a half dozen from the Cass Lake area this past weekend that I wanted smoked. I just got off the phone with Flickers Meats in White Bear Lake; $1.59 per pound of cleaned fish, they brine and smoke it and also offer vacuum packaging for an additional charge.

Fred

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Is that the price to pickle or smoke them? Did you bring them in cleaned?

$2 per fish for smoking. I clean the fish whole (gut and clean the gills).

billkoutnik
    SE Wisconsin

WHat exactly are Tubilee? Being a Wisconsinite, they look quite a bit like Whitefish.
    Black Squirrel

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

WHat exactly are Tubilee? Being a Wisconsinite, they look quite a bit like Whitefish.
    Black Squirrel

Tullipee vs Whitefish

Good link showing the difference..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.