Mille Lacs Report – 12/31

• Brian G
    Independence, MN

Happy New Years everyone! We have been up fishing all week, here’s what we have been finding.

After a really hot bite on Sloppy Joes finally died, we went searching. We hit some secondary humps off Sloppys that you can find using your Lakemaster, they top off at 27 and are about 40 yards across. Things were good there early and late in the day on Wednesday and Thursday. Yesterday we headed out to 4 mile, Brandts has a good road out there now. We set up in 30 feet off the rocks and found a nice mixed bag of fish. My son and I caught 5 walleyes, a few jumbos, and a bunch of tullies that reluctantly hit our jigging spoons. Our plan is to return to them this afternoon and downsize with some waxies and catch a bunch for the smoker.

This morning we stayed close to home and set up in 17 feet off some shoreline rocks in search of walleyes. They cooperated! Just as the sun was coming up we had a flurry of extremely aggressive fish and caught several in the 20-24 raange. These were really hot fish, often meeting our perch/glow jigging spoons halfway to the bottom. That action died pretty quickly after first light and the perch moved in.

Ice conditions after yesterdays rain were generally good. We hit a few small slush spots with the wheeler but nothing to worry about. In general everything is well on its way to freezing up hard again. It was windy as heck today so if you’re headed up bring your ice anchors for the portables! I ran my buddy heater on high this morning for the first time ever because there was no slow left on the ice to seal down the flaps on my Thermal X Trap.

The next few days look really good. We plan to target tullies, perch, and walleyes on the deep gravel/mud transitions during the day, and then move up on the shallow rocks for the low light periods.

bluewing
    North Iowa

Thanks for the report, very much appreciate the details of what’s working.

Happy New Year

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Great report! Sounds like a blast!

Coreyhuberty
    Brainerd,MN

Happy New Years! Sounds like you had an awesome morning bite, good luck to you guys throughout the rest of the day. Appreciate the info!

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Sounds like fun. I’ll be in that area tomorrow morning with my son and his new Marcum that was a gift.

TJB
    Cottage Grove, MN.

Thanks for the info and good luck!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.