Now What Steve??

• fisheyes925
    Sandstone, MN

Ok… I was on the Resort Flat yesterday and saw 10 Walleyes, a big old Pout, and tons of small Perch. I even got a few of the Eyes to come in and sniff around a little, but they wouldnt bite. Any suggestions? I was thinking dynamite might work Thanks

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

If I had a dollar for every ten walleyes I saw that didn’t bite I’d….oh well, probably be still still sittin’ here answering your post with a much bigger bank account to buy minnows with.

One key thing is to have the bait at the SAME eye level of the fish. NOT 1-10 inches higher or lower. EXACT eye level.

I haven’t been playing with any deep fish so I can’t say if it was your fault or the fishes fault. Most likely both. Some fishy areas will have a higher percentage of biters in them than others.

My shallow bite has been, even in the cold fronts this year( the past week as well), averaging about 30-40 percent biters with a couple of sessions being 100 percent and some being 4 for 6 or the like. (7 for 7 one session was the biggest number) And some sessions have been 1 for 9–0 for 5 and the like. It will drive you nuts! My “sessions” are 1.5 hours at dusk or dawn.

One fish comes in and snaps at a continous hard jerking/dancing of the spoon, the next one gets scared of that. The next one lurks and swings around four times before hitting…or not. Go figure!

When you figure it out…let us know.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Please let me know also, as I’ve had alot of lookers all winter!!!

When these fish decide to feed…it will be fun again!!!!

steve-fellegy

I will add that you and most are relatively new to “viewing” the fish in real life pics via the modern age of the Aqua View and might think “lookers” are new or rare or can be trained to bite consistently.

Well I have been “viewing”, real live walleyes through the ice for over 40 years… not 10 years or less as is the case with the modern day ice fisherman. And reality is? Nothing has changed! Nothing is perfect. Nor close to perfect. 30-50 percent of biters is the benchmark–overall average. On a consistent basis, any higher percentage is, in my opinion, a fragment(not a figment) of someones imagination.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Resort to another flat!

Couldn’t resist, sorry!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I remember reading posts here last year where some people were catching perch at the end of Feb. and begining of March on the transistions on the North side close to Red Door. Anyone have any luck lately, and are you getting the walleye during the day? I know Steve fishes somewhere up there, not giving up your spot, but are you on the gravel to sand transition, rock to gravel, or on the edge of the mud? And at what depths? We are up there the last weekend of Feb. and we have a large enough group to spread out, but a begining point would help out a bit. I also think, or hope that this weather will straighten out a bit. Are the roads out from Red Door in good enough shape to get out to a few of the small flats? Thanks in advance. If any of you are in our neck of the woods, stop by the grills and grab some good eats, weather permiting, we usually do up a feast.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Steve I take it you are watching them down the hole. Someone told me the cameras tend to spook the walleyes off. What is your take on that? Thanks.

steve-fellegy

I think anything “tends” to spook a walleye that isn’t part of it’s natural world… to some extent. Some fish get spooked more than others and conditions play a role on how spooked or not they get. Put yourself in their fins! If somone drops an object from the sky in your back yard that wasn’t there yesterday, you will take notice.

That all said….I’ve had walleyes come so close to my Aqua View camera that all I saw was the pupil in their eye. I’ve had them mouth the camera a couple times too. And, understandably, they have been shy as well with it in place numbers of times. So—yes and no. Do I like fishing deep water through the ice without my Aqua View in place? NO! I have to have it! Spoiled!

And yes…I am watching ALL my walleyes from my shallow fish house through the hole….no camera needed where I fish most.

steve-fellegy

The time frame you are talking about will be perch only as the walleye thing is closed by then. There might be roads maintained and there might not be. Odds are not on the north end. Time will tell.

From Malmo to Garrision(16-18 miles), the flat, mucky bottom from 20ft. of water on out from shore can and usually is good perch hunting ground in late winter. We don’t look for “structure”. We just plop down, fish an area and move on or stay and catch’em. 20′-35’of water. All the same…edges mean nothng when I’m hunting perch on the north end.

fisheyes925
    Sandstone, MN

Thanks again Steve for all of your input. Its really appreciated. I talked to a guy last night that said the Jumbo Perch are starting to bite on the south end in 30’+. Do they usually turn on down there first? If so, whats the average time frame till they start snappin up north?

steve-fellegy

lol I have no idea if perch from the south have a different life style than the the north perch. Seems to me the water/conditions are the same in the winter no matter what the compass says. If you find’em, use the right recipe, and they wanna eat, you’ll catch’em.

Chasing “reports” can get you dizzy! Just maybe the guys fishing on the north end aren’t talking! Or nobody is fishing. Or the report you have from the south is not consistent–or is exagerated. Or ????

jldii

Steve is only allowed to fish north of a line from Big Point to Indian Point.

He doesn’t want to tell you that though.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Thanks Steve, we will be up for the last weekend of walleye/northern season, there is that steep transition just out from the Wealthwood landing (the second break) and some rocks mixed in along the east from there, I’m thinking those areas early morning or evening, but you are fishing shallow, are you on rocks? If so, I may have a spot or two in mind. Any particular color or size? This is kind of like a game show, you give just enough information for the bells to go off in my head. would “what’s up Doc” be a good hint as to your haunts?

steve-fellegy

Huh! Funny how rules are always misinterpreted.

Page one of the rule book reads:

1. I have seniority! And I originated the rules you reference. Rule interpretation will be based on rule makers final decision.

2. Per rule number one…..I can fish BOTH sides the of line! Guides that headquarter on the south end and have less than 25 years seniority, have to stay south of that line.

3. Don’t question the rules.

jldii

That reads like something out of the FLW rule book!

flicker
    Oakdale,MN & Fargo, ND

Steve are you sight fishing or using the aqua view? I’ve been sight fishing recently and have done pretty good doing it. Its so sweet being able to see the fish in the water with your own eyes.

sundogg44
    Eden Prairie/Mille Lacs

Quote:

Huh! Funny how rules are always misinterpreted.

Page one of the rule book reads:

1. I have seniority! And I originated the rules you reference. Rule interpretation will be based on rule makers final decision.
    2. Per rule number one…..I can fish BOTH sides the of line! Guides that headquarter on the south end and have less than 25 years seniority, have to stay south of that line.
    3. Don’t question the rules.

Gee, that sounds a helluva lot like my girlfriend’s rulebook, with one major exception: it has nothing to do with fishing!

fisheyes925
    Sandstone, MN

hehe Steve. Well… How am I going to learn if I dont ask questions? Just by reading your posts, I learned theres a Mason/Dixon Line(Big Point to Indian Point) separating the north from the south. I thought maybe the waters in Isle Bay were warmer on the south end being closer to the equator:) Isnt it the fishermans rule of thumb that their always biting better on the other end of the lake? Whats YOUR favorite recipe for Walleyes and Perch?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.